Engine gone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NCR4D@59

Reaction score
I'm back ktm525. It's at the dealership now for further diagnosis per Land Rover. The mechanic quoted close to $12k for a refurbished motor. Roughly, how much would a senor replacement cost?

NCR4D@59

Reaction score
Just to add to my previous post, the car was towed because it was making a knocking noise and I didnt want to cause or add damage. It is running. Also received a "performance restricted" prompt.

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The code is related to the crank sensor evidently and should be "fixable" without engine replacement but it worries me that you didn't get a check engine light. Below is a clip from another forum that may help. Disregard his last comment about reliability of these vehicles, we all know that if you play you pay. I'm bumping 215k on my '06 LR3 and have had zero issues for the last year other than some maintenance items I chose to replace for piece of mind.

Check engine and code P0018
Started up the RR after work today and got the message Performance Restricted and huge red exclamation mark. Within 30 seconds it went away and I was left with a check engine light. The truck drove fine and wasn't in limp mode or under restricted power. Stopped at Autozone on my way home to have it scanned and came up with P0018 CRANKSHAFT CAMSHAFT POSITION CORRELATION BANK 2 SENSOR A

Not too much info online and I plan to have the dealer pick it up tomorrow. Just wanted to post here and see if anyone had input or suggestions on what could cause it? It's an 11 RR with 44k miles.

Re: Check engine and code P0018

I had P0016, same as 0018 on a different bank, on a 2010 LR4 around 42k miles, originally with no noise. The code would come up during winter cold starts in Northeast. Dealer produced a bulletin, can't remember the number, but the problem was listed as design defect of the tensioner guides. Specifically, the touch/mating point of the original guides was susceptible to wear. Per bulletin replaced both chains, tensioners, tensioner guides and damper guides. I examined removed parts and in fact saw some small amount of wear on the soft aluminum backing of the tensioner guides. The mating points on the new guides were steel. That being said, it is hard to imagine that 2-3mm variability in tensioner action would create a diagnostic scenario to produce the code. 10 month later, the problem came back again in cold weather, but now with a pronounced noise at idle. Dealer has produced another bulletin LTB00474NAS2 and has replaced only the tensioners and tensioner guides this time. The guides had no wear at tension mating points. I guess the time has come to get rid of this LR racket before something blows up yet another time. These people just do not know how to make reliable cars. I can speculate way to many system level design problems here as well as assembly problems. The software may not be properly fault tolerant, the oil/filter may be appropriate for the tensioner check valve, the dealer may have fouled up the tensioner gasket when replacing it last time, the oil pump may not be pumping enough pressure, who knows. The dealer will never ever be able to spend time or have qualifications to diagnose system level issues like this.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to see you back Nancy, I figured you were a "one and done". Anyhow the knocking sound does not sound good. Whatever a dealer tells you get a second opinion.

NCR4D@59

Reaction score
Remember 5, the engine light did come on. Pulled over and had her towed to mechanic and then to dealership.

ktm525, any idea what knocking or noise could be?

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The knock could have been the plug firing out of position since the sensor is misreading the crank/ cam position and causing pre-ignition. Tough to diagnose without being in front of the truck but at least the dealer will be able to diagnose since he has the tools and computer. I'm interested to see what he finds. The sensor replacement should be pretty straightforward if that's the only problem.

NCR4D@59

Reaction score
Dealer says timing chain and water pump to the tune if $6000. Didnt mention code 0018. Waiting for final determination. This puzzles me to no end.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
timing chain skipped a few teeth?. Without hearing it who knows. Second opinion still may be in order.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P0018 code as well. Temp was 14 degrees and CEL showed up as soon as vehicle was started. The code lasted my 20 mins drive. I did get a brief performance restricted message which extinguished after a minute and just left me with the CEL. The truck went through all 6 gears just fine and I was cruising at a top speed of 85ish. After shutting down I cleared the code. The code didn't clear and was present during my next drive for another 20 mins. After letting the truck sit for a few hours I drove it again and the CEL was off. I ran the scanner and no soft codes or anything. Engine has 104k miles and no abnormal noise other than the ticking fan clutch and noisy injectors. The chain was never serviced and upon pulling on it through the oil filler cap feels to be tight. Ill keep an eye on it and report back if need be.

lrovy

Reaction score
P0018 code as well. Temp was 14 degrees and CEL showed up as soon as vehicle was started. The code lasted my 20 mins drive. I did get a brief performance restricted message which extinguished after a minute and just left me with the CEL. The truck went through all 6 gears just fine and I was cruising at a top speed of 85ish. After shutting down I cleared the code. The code didn't clear and was present during my next drive for another 20 mins. After letting the truck sit for a few hours I drove it again and the CEL was off. I ran the scanner and no soft codes or anything. Engine has 104k miles and no abnormal noise other than the ticking fan clutch and noisy injectors. The chain was never serviced and upon pulling on it through the oil filler cap feels to be tight. Ill keep an eye on it and report back if need be.
Just to report, running 2010 NA and got the same code last night. It did pop up when dynamically accelerating (5 => 30mph) but not crazy shortly after starting engine, ca. 1min. Temp outside ~50F. It did cause red triangle and limp mode. Stopped shortly after as got scared.
Stopped engine, checked with IID as am always carrying and code wasn't active anymore and statement was that tests were not finished in current cycle. CEL was on though, no limp mode anymore or red triangle.
I've left error untouched, started engine, no noise, whatsoever. Carefully drove couple of miles and after another stop/start cycle, CEL disappeared.

Been chasing my LR guy re timing chains replacement and he keeps saying, not noisy, wouldn't touch it yet, as nothing was happening... till last night.

Now... should I rush for timing chain or did I help with sensor, i.e. that engine was let's say cold and only after a minute since starting and cold engine + oil pressure and sudden acceleration prompted false positive?

@jlach993 - any thoughts on how to check tension, how it should be? Did yours develop anything?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM