Engine System Fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J

JohnnieMiami

Well after a nightmare at the dealer due to a tire blowout (http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4399) I woke up yesterday morning to a puddle of oil in my car (they did a 30k service while putting on the new tires (2) and brakes). I call the dealer and they tow it to the dealership. They bring the car home and leave it in the driveway for me today. I get home around 9:00 and it's pouring rain and they left the window open. So I jump in to find the car unlocked and the key in the ignition (even though I specifically requested them to lock the keys in the car). I ignore the puddle on my seat as I need to get the car started to close the window. Oh no...car won't start - completely dead. Argh.

I call roadside who comes out to jump it and it jumps but says "Engine System Fault". It's idling awfully rough so I close the window and shut it down. Has anyone seen this before? Could this be a sign of me having a massive oil leak after the 30k? My patience is running so thin with LR and more importantly my dealership.

Thanks!
- Miami

H

Houm_WA

Miami...this sounds awful. First of all, what caused the puddle of oil? You sorta skipped that part when you went from towing it to the dealership yesterday to them bringing it home to you today.

...why wouldn't the car start?

Something sounds really messed up here...I wish I had some good advice here, besides that you should call LRNA and let the hear it. If nothing else, they'll put some pressure on your dealership to treat you better...and you can probably squeeze out some cash from them for "pain and suffering."

All that said, please keep us posted as to what was causing the oil puddle, engine non-start, and the engine system fault.

good luck

J

JohnnieMiami

They said that the oil leak was due to the oring on the filter slipping. The dealership just called to tell me they think all those codes were being thrown because the battery had died? Is this possible? I think that the guy who returned the car either a) left the car running for 9 hours or b) left it with the ignition on which killed the batter. I tend to think he left the ignition on which killed. This is what the dealership also believes.

Since this was all caused by them, I'm concerned that they might not be that forthcoming with details. How can I find out if the car has significant issues (the root of these system fault errors) or it was just the result of a dead battery?

Thanks!
-Miami

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bummer

Man, Sorry to hear about your troubles.

First off, leaving the keys in the igntiion is just plain stupid for obvious reasons.
Second, leaving the key in the ignition does not allow the computers to sleep, and they pull all sorts of juice, and it kills the battery.
Third, engine codes due to low or dead battery are not uncommon. After the battery has been charged, or driven enough to be charged, get the codes cleared, and it will probably all be okay.
I wouldn't let these rookies charge you for any of this either. This is ridiculous. They should just count themselves lucky nobody drove off with your car.

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't tell me, Land Rover South Dade is your servicing dealer. Mine too, and I've had issues with their service. Nothing as serious as yours though.

BTW, the "O-ring" didn't slip on your oil filter. The o-ring from the old filter stuck to the block when it was removed. A new filter was installed, which already had a new o-ring. This condition of stacked o-rings held pressure "for a while". Eventually, the old O-ring slipped and resulted in a MASSIVE OIL LEAK. This could have pumped your engine dry in five minutes. The oil you found on you driveway did't come from INSIDE the engine but was the oil that would have dripped OFF the engine. This is a total rookie mechanic mistake. O-rings often stick to the block, ALWAYS look at the old filter to see that the o-ring came off with the filter, clean the oil filter base on the block and lightly oil the o-ring on the new filter. If the mechanic FAILED to do any of these steps, at the very least as the new filter was tightened one would notice that it would have taken 3 or 4 turns to tighten rather than the usual 3/4 of a turn.

Take this issue up with LRNA. Tell them you want a new engine.

askewed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kwlr3 said:
Take this issue up with LRNA. Tell them you want a new engine.

You want 3000X the headache you have now? Let them swap motors, I can't wait to hear how the j.o. that couldn't complete your oil change F's up swapping your motor out... Tell them you want a new truck.

H

Houm_WA

Ok, but I'm confused because the original message said that there was a puddle of oil IN the car. How did it get inside the vehicle? ...or did johnnie mean in the driveway?

J

JohnnieMiami

Ya...sorry...the puddle was in the garage...sorry was just a bit agitated when typing that all out.

Unfortunately, it's September 25th and I still have an LR3 loaner in my driveway. They called on Thursday when they were supposed to bring it back and said that the car started but was running very rough so they wanted to go through everything again. This just seems to get worse every minute. To make me feel at ease, they said "don't worry, we have our shop foreman on it"....ya that helped.

If by chance the car was not in the ignition position, but was actually running for 9 hours - would it eventually shut down by itself (as it did not run out of gas)?

Last edited by a moderator:

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Modern engines with synthetic oil will run quite a long time with no oil pressure. And at this point I don't think you have enough information to know if the truck was run dry. With a oil filter o-ring leak, you may have held some pressure, It may not have started to leak until just as the truck was delivered to your driveway. Did you, by chance, check the oil level before it was haulded off? This would have told you if it was run dry. About the only way I can think that would detirmin if there was damage would be to drop the oil pan, remove a main bearing cap and check for scoring.

delfinnyil

Reaction score
there is no synthetic oil on lr3 ,rr sport or rr2006 it's regular oil, that why eatch servise
7.5k miles

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM