Is this typical for an LR3 HSE with 30k miles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J

JohnnieMiami

after a tire blowout this weekend, a tow into the shop because the cheap lug wrench snapped trying to change the tire, I'm being told by the dealership my 30k LR3 HSE needs 2 new tires, an alignment and new pads and rotor since they're at 5mm. Grand total: $1708.00.

Is this what one can expect every 30k miles? I'd be interested to see if others have been shelling out this type of money. If so, this probably my last land rover.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the tires suck, that is a known fact. The lug wrench is merely inconvenient and easily remedied.
But you're the 3rd or 4th person I've heard talk about the rotors needing replacement at 30k miles. I only have 16k miles and haven't even looked at the pads or rotors yet. If this is common it is asinine. I've had 4 Range Rovers before this, each one had 70,000-80,000 miles and had the original rotors when I got rid of them.
I'd be interested in hearing about others' experiences too...

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mvg

It is after all a heavy vehicle, which doesn't seem like it because of the powerful brakes.

My first sporty car was a Saab 9000 Turbo--fast car with powerful brakes. I had to replace the rotor at 30,000. Fortunately, I replaced it myself. Thereafter, I never had to change the rotor even after another 100,000 miles before I sold it. I think this is because I changed my driving style after my initial lesson. Power comes with a price.

On the tires, there is a thread on this forum about premature tire wear ~12,000 miles. This is addressed by a technical service bulletiin (TSB).

J

JohnnieMiami

I had an Expedition which was a couple hundred pounds heavier and I got to 60k before breaks and 45k on the tires....and that was a FORD (insert your favorite slam here). Just pretty disappointing with my first Landie. I've driven mostly BMWs but wasn't overly impressed by their X-5 so decided to go with the LR3 and now starting to regret it a bit.

M

mvg

The weights of the LR3 and Expedition are about the same (LR3 = 5,426 - 5,796 lb; Expedition = 5,271 - 5,689 lb). However, the LR3 stops quicker from 60 to 0 mph in 121 ft vs. 148 ft for the Expedition. This means the LR3 potentially has more pressure applied on the rotor especially in quick-stop situations. (Assuming brake pads have the same contact area between the two vehicles.)

As the brake pedal pressure is increased, the brake lining material compresses to a point. Beyond that point, you start wearing your rotors at a faster rate. Easing up on pedal pressure should make your new rotors last longer. When possible, it's better to apply the brake for a longer distance at moderate pressure than perform a panic stop, i.e., heavy pressure for a short distance.

J

JohnnieMiami

Thanks MVG...that makes good sense. I was always taught not to "ride the brakes" but I'm guessing there is a fine line between "riding the brakes" and applying additional pressure to stop in shorter distances.

Any thoughts on the tire tear up in 20k?

J

JohnnieMiami

This is good. I assume since the TSB was issued in July/August they acknowledge there was an issue well before then. I guess the real question is - how can I use this information to get some money back on the $820 bill for 2 new tires and an alignment? I've tried my dealer and actually another one and they say "with a vehicle this heavy - it's normal wear and tear on the tires". You would think the dealers are paying for this themselves - are they? Wondering if taking it directly to Land Rover - bypassing the dealership would help. Pretty frustrating as I spent a $100k there in one weekend on a new LR3 HSE and a left over Discovery.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Johnnie.

I contacted LRNA and opened a case. Then took it to the dealer. Dealer then installed 1 rear tire for free, and I used the full-size spare for the other side. They also performed a new alignment (free) using the new specifications. All dealers received a notice to use the new spec, I saw this in person.

So, call LRNA and you should get some relief.

Last edited:

Wayfarer

Reaction score
I traded in a 2004 Nissan Titan for my new LR3 HSE. It had about 36k miles on it as of three weeks ago when I traded. I had the rotors turned three times, pads replaced each time, and rotors and pads replaced once. There was a TSB on it, the original rotors were simply to small and thin to stop such a beast. However, that will give you an idea of how a large vehicle can go through brakes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635