Engine ticking when accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matvandamme

Reaction score
Hi,

My defender 90 seems to have an engine problem. When accelerating (delivering power), the engine makes this ticking noise with increasing frequency as my def starts to make speed. This noise is heard clearly at low temperature and weakens at the engine's operating temperature or when I've stopped at trafic lights for let's say 3 minutes. Also, when realy pushing the trottle in first gear, the engine would stall, the engine would produce a very high squeel (V-snare?) black smoke would come out of the exhaust, the engine would shake and no power would be delivered what so ever. This problem is solved by simply cutting the engine off and restarting.

My def is made in the year 2004-2005 (not sure), certainly not the newest version on the market nowadays.

I realy hope somebody can help me 'cause I adore my def!!

Greetz

Big_Mark

Reaction score
Oil was changed a month ago...

Yes but did you check the level after hearing the noises?

What type of oil did you use. Ticking seems like it could be lifters or valves or oil starvation. That is why I'd start with the oil level. Eliminate the obvious then move forward ....

matvandamme

Reaction score
Yes but did you check the level after hearing the noises?

What type of oil did you use. Ticking seems like it could be lifters or valves or oil starvation. That is why I'd start with the oil level. Eliminate the obvious then move forward ....

Noises were there after AND before oil check up. (Motor oil was refilled, together with differentials and gearbox). So I guess it isn't an oil problem.

Maybe the previous owner has been driving for a while on low oil levels... If this is the case, how can low oil levels damage your motor? Can it damage the cilinders or valves?

greets

Big_Mark

Reaction score
After re-reading your original post I think you have bigger problems. I'd take the vehicle to a reputable shop for diagnosis.

RobertColunga

Banned
Reaction score
Problem like this should be taken seriously because some people misdiagnose it that would lead to worst situation... Just like mine, i thought the ticking in my engine was due to a bad engine mounts.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM