Everything about tires for LR4/ LR3 with 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is very true, and I do have my stock 255/55R19 wheels/tires sitting in the garage which will work with the Z-579 Z-Chain also (as well as 265/65R18 and 265/60R18).

I should buy some snows for them. They have almost new stock (Crap) tires on them which I would NOT want to use in iowa winters.

I'd do these if I were you:
1st choice Nokian
Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV

255/55R19 111 R XL up to 106 mph, max load 2400 lb
255/60R19 113 R XL up to 106 mph, max load 2540 lb

or
MICHELIN®
Latitude® X-Ice® Xi2
255/55R19/XL 111H

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just realized some of the Discovery 5 launch photos were reduced in size and could be zoomed in for better clarity. The versions they showcased had 22" wheels and used 285/40/22 tires with a 110Y load/speed rating, so the new LR5 is going to have 31" wheels like the newer RR does.

It still does not look like there is room to go much beyond a 31.5" tire through. I only mention it as I am sure someone will be one and want to shift their 18" LR3/LR4 wheel/tire combos over if possible. The brakes may actually shrink with the weight reduction, so who knows what will fit, maybe even a 17 wheel?

LR-Discovery-2018-17.png
!

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... so the new LR5 is going to have 31" wheels like the newer RR does.

It still does not look like there is room to go much beyond a 31.5" tire through. I only mention it as I am sure someone will be one and want to shift their 18" LR3/LR4 wheel/tire combos over if possible. The brakes may actually shrink with the weight reduction, so who knows what will fit, maybe even a 17 wheel?

31" TIRE, not "wheel" ;)

New brochure states 14.2 / 13.8 F/R discs so the front will be the problem .... basically same as lr4

2016 LR4 brochure states 14.17/13.77

2016 RR V6 and TD6 13.78 F&R ...which is interesting.... because it's smaller and could allow an 18 without any modification. Bizarre.

LR3 v8 13.27 / 13.78

Have people tried the 18 on an lr4 rear without needing spacers? It looks like the lr4 front size is what requires spacer or grinding.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this means the new RR really needs 33's on an 18" wheel IMO ;)

It also means pretty much forget about 17's on the new Disco5 unless there's a smaller brake kit on a Euro model for some reason.

We can only hope the rumors of an "SVX" off-roadish package will actually happen for the US market.

Stealther

Reaction score
If snow and ice is that big of a deal in your region, most people keep their stock 19" wheels and put a dedicated winter tire that could also accommodate chains when necessary. Put your 18" wheel / KO2 setup on outside of the winter months. This way you get the best of both worlds.
Good point. Snow chains are only really necessary when we do our annual ski trip. I could just switch to the 20s that already have chains if I'm going into that area. I was just hoping to not have to keep a second set of tires in the garage. I'm looking to start going on some trails once I get the all-terrains, those that have already taken their LR4s off road do you think I would miss the 1" difference in diameter between the 265/60s and 265/65s?

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point. Snow chains are only really necessary when we do our annual ski trip. I could just switch to the 20s that already have chains if I'm going into that area. I was just hoping to not have to keep a second set of tires in the garage. I'm looking to start going on some trails once I get the all-terrains, those that have already taken their LR4s off road do you think I would miss the 1" difference in diameter between the 265/60s and 265/65s?

I kept asking myself that question. Its really just 1/2" in height (radius) and that gives you the ability to easily store the spare and not have risk of rubbing the frame horns (which you can trim, but i'd rather not). My goodyears on normal pavement did rub a little when new and if you put some load off road on them when turning I still rub.

So I think I am willing to give up a little to make things work better, and the z-chains might even work ok with 265/60R18. Not sure though.

I probably will get dedicated winters on my OE 19" wheels.. that i know will work with the z-chains.

Probably pick up the KO2's in the spring or next summer. These GY silent armours just refuse to wear out... the wear like iron. They have been pretty good other than the load rating is a bit low and the sidewalls get messed up pretty easily. They don't have the big side blocks like the KO2's.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm currently using the Nokia R2 in 265/65R18 on the Compos coming from DuraTrac 265/65R18. Size difference is .5" (31.1 vs 31.6). Everyday difference is huge, no more rubbing the frame horn when getting in and out of parking spots and tight maneuvering.
I haven't taken them off-road but I bet it's safe to say that there should be no issues there either.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I installed my BFG TA KO. 3 years ago ( 1st generation) they rubbed on front frame horns for some time. With 2nd gen BFG TA KO2 ( 265/65/18) I have no rubbing. Maybe metal wore down over time. Since I did not have a chance to try TA KO2 off road yet I can not tell how much rubbing I may have against rear wheel well linings.
The 265/65/18 spare tire was never an issue for me. After heat shield removal and deflating a tire to 8-12 PSI it fits nicely into it's space.
Now, there is an issue with this set up and Land Rover hitch. You have to remove the hitch when you want to take spare out or put it in. For people who tow a trailer this is something to think about. I have a hitch mounted bicycle rack and this is not a problem since the hitch can be easily removed and mounted again.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM