Extended Mode...Grommet Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

P

pbrover

Grommet I read this on rangerovers.net about the Range Rover Sport. Does it apply to the LR3?
..."However as an added bonus, the Extended Profile mode last seen on the 4.0/4.6 has returned on the Sport, giving an extra 1.5 inches of clearance when the computer senses that the vehicle is high centered. In this mode, the driver can hold the "up" switch on (for 3 seconds with a foot on the brake) for another 1.5 inches or 3 inches over the normal off road mode -- a total of almost 12 inches of clearance....? If it does work is there any way to put the car "manually" in extended mode?

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the same... and no... you can't do it manually. The "Super Extended" mode can only be triggered when you are already in the "automatic" Extended mode.

I think it's actually in your manual... somewhere.

P

pbrover

So has anybody ever calculated what the max "breakover" angles are when in "Automatic" extended mode and "Super Extended" mode?

From Land Rover Web Page:
Ramp Break Over Angle: 22.8-27.9 degrees (excluded angle)

Can I assume that the 27.9 degrees refers to the Ramp Break Over Angle when in off-road mode not in "Automatic" extended mode or "Super Extended" mode?

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told the published figures are for Off-road Mode. The Extended modes are only for high centered "oh crap!" use. :smile:

P

pbrover

Based on my simple calculations, 12.5 inches of clearance in "Super Extended" mode equals a ramp break over angle of 36.7 degrees.

P

pbrover

Based on your knowledge do you think somebody will be able to find a way to manually access (Hack) "Automatic" extended mode or "Super Extended" mode? Do I need to befriend a Master Land Rover tech with goodies and get him to tell me the secret..smiling?

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find the sensors underneath and hit it with a rock? :smile:

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Per the manual:

Additional lift whilst in Extended mode
When Extended mode is invoked and the
automatic lifting of the vehicle has been
completed, the driver can request an additional
lift of the vehicle. This can be particularly useful
when Extended mode has been invoked on soft
surfaces.

To request additional lifting, wait for the raising
indicator to extinguish then press and hold
the switch in the up direction for 3 seconds
whilst ALSO pressing the brake pedal. A chime
will sound to confirm that the request has been
accepted. The raising indicator will be
illuminated while the vehicle is being lifted.

To exit Extended mode, briefly press either the
raise or lower switch. Alternatively, the vehicle
will automatically lower if driven at a speed
greater than 5 km/h (3 mph) for 30 seconds.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM