Extended Mode...Grommet Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Extended Mode, or extra lift: possible solution

pbrover said:
Do you think somebody will be able to find a way to manually access (Hack) "Automatic" extended mode or "Super Extended" mode? Do I need to befriend a Master Land Rover tech with goodies and get him to tell me the secret..smiling?

None of my tech's know of a way, so I tried to figure this out the old fashioned way, I looked through the service manuals looking for a back door. I didn't find one, but I came up with some theory of operation that might help someone. Sorry for the lengthyness.

GTR says "If the air suspension control module senses that the vehicle has grounded and lost traction, the control module can temporarily increase and/or redistribute the volume of air supplied to the affected air spring(s) to maximise the available traction. This is known as extended mode and will be indicated to the driver by the lamps on the air suspension switch flashing."

The only way I know of that the car would know it is grounded is if the car has wheel speed, but no acceleration, which I read later, "The air suspension control module uses inputs received on the CAN bus from other vehicle systems. The system uses longitudinal acceleration, lateral acceleration, steering angle and wheel speed data to control the suspension operation in differing driving conditions." Well, I don't know how to tap into a CAN bus, and modify the input signals so that the vehicle thnks it has wheel speed, but no momentum, so I went for a different tack.

We used to adjust the ride heights on the Cadillacs by adustiing the drop links. The drop link is connected to a movable point while the sensor is mounted to a solid point. The sensor gets the height signal based on how far an arm has moved from what it thinks is a base point. If we use a different length arm, we could fool the sensor into thinking the car is @ access, when it is @ normal height by using a different length link. Then, it would raise to off-road height @ when raising to normal, and still have the extra three when going into off-road. hmm. How much tinkering can the car stand? "Once set, the calibration is not required to be performed unless the air suspension control module is removed or replaced, a height sensor is removed or replaced or a suspension arm to which the sensor is connected is removed or replaced. If the removed height sensor is subsequently refitted, the calibration procedure will have to be performed to ensure the integrity of the system." sounds ominous, but can I replace just the drop link with one of a different length to fool the attached sensor? "If a replacement drop link is fitted, recalibration is not required providing the sensor body is not removed from its mounting bracket."

Theoretically, the car could be lifted by altering the length dimensions of the drop links. I'm not sure this is a good idea though. I'm not sure how much stress the CV joints can take raised and @ 65 mph. I'm not sure if the vehicle would have any uptravel left @ an extended height. I'm not sure if I could get any suspension repairs performed under warranty. In theory I think it could work.

Last edited by a moderator:

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good work Dave. Extra slice of pie for you!

B

bohnhead

davez26 said:
The only way I know of that the car would know it is grounded is if the car has wheel speed, but no acceleration...

I was suspecting it detected it by the lack of weight on a wheel. I've seen several videos on an offroad course where one wheel is far off the ground and the vehicle teeters over. The spotter has the driver wait for several seconds with the front wheel off the ground before he has the driver proceed. I suspect he was waiting for the car to go into extended mode so it wouldn't roll. One of the LR3's taking on the obstacle almost rolls.

I could prolly find a link to the vids if ya'll don't know what I'm talking about...

MTB-)

H

Houm_WA

You think the video is cool....I DID THAT **** at the driving school in Carmel ! It was amazing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM