Few questions re: my latest SIII

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

printjunky

Reaction score
I just bought a '73 88", it's my third SIII (after 11 years Roverless) and I've been down to the bearings and back on one of my former SWBs, so have some experience. Nonetheless, this one turns up a few queries for advice, 2 (or 2,000) heads being better than one and all.

The owner tells me the Rover sat in a barn for about 8 years. It's in a shockingly fresh state for that.

And he had put about 10K miles on it after an engine rebuild before shelving it. (he says he formerly owned a British auto garage/resto service)

The gas tank's out (and it came with a new one) so no worries about bad gas, except in the bowl of the zenith that's fitted and I'll check that.

I'll look at the plugs and renew if warranted.

The oil is crystal clear (he said the engine was prepped/fogged, etc before storage). Even though, I'll change that and filter in case of any oil breakdown over time.

Basically all I'm worried about is getting the oil up the engine ASAP. Does anyone know offhand whether the pump needs to be primed? And if so is it the normal route of spinning the shaft the distributor locks into? Or can I just turn with the crank handle and get some oil moving. I haven't tried to turn it over yet, because it came with a great old Bellevue (pre-warn) winch that blocks the crank access.

I could probably figure it out by studying my haynes or shop manual, and/or taking the winch off and cranking a bit to see what happens, but thought someone might have more insight.

Next, has anyone had any experience fitting a Weber DGV 5A 2 barrel carb to a 2.25? The Rover came with a couple of boxes of parts and it included an almost pristine example of that carb. Googling indicates they're popular for certain Jeeps, Fords, VWs. And even saw a tiny bit of info on Rovers with them. Looks like they might be fiddly to tune and keep tuned, but are better for getting the most out of the engine. But more info is always better.

Well, I'm sure there will be more as I go. The thing was in mid rewire when it got shelved, so there are a bunch of re-connections still to make (looks like everything's there) and that gas tank to get back in. And the radiator looks a tiny bit sketchy ... but that's it for now.

Thanks for any insight!

Shawn

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72