floor jack and torque wrench

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I just got my 18" compomotive wheels and will have new tires in few weeks installed.
Since LR4 is my wifes daily driver and she likes OE 19" wheels/ tires set up for her daily driving or I should say she is not in love with compomotive wheels and BFG TA KO tires on them I will be putting my compomotives on the car for off reading only.
Could someone recommend a floor jack and a torque wrench.
This also brings one more question : do I really need TPMS sensors under these circumstances?

SHS14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have any specific brand to recommend but I'll share what I use to give you features to consider.

I have the heavy duty aluminum jack from craftsman, which makes maneuvering in tight places easier. It has a long handle to make pumping easy. It's also rated for 2.5 tons-ish so won't fail under the heavy LR4. The hydraulic pump doesn't lose air over time so if I need to leave my vehicles on the jack for longer I don't have to worry about finding my vehicle on the ground (I still use jack stands as a back up). Some jacks have built in pads to protect metal but I don't have that feature; I use an old poly spacer from an old Toyota spacer lift kit to get extra height and protect metal. I've seen similar pucks at the home stores.

I've been using the manual 1/2" torque wrench from craftsman for years; the model that's under $100. I wouldn't buy cheap at autozone or someplace like that unless your on a budget.

Good luck!

Last edited:

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a half inch torque wrench. I have a craftsman, its rated for over 100 foot pounds. Also good to have a half inch breaker bar around in case bolts are stuck.

I have a light/aluminum jack also and its not tall enough for the crazy articulation on the LR4, i need to find something else. When I put my comps on I had to use the stupid scissor jack that came with the car.

The LR4 is my car, but my wife likes the look of these (in black).

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I have Tactical Rovers T44 rock sliders with nerf bars installed.
I thought about 3 ton floor jack, something which will not break down after frequent usage.
With those rock sliders you can engage the floor jack almost anywhere so it is convenient.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Quijote.
The torque wrench you recommended is the one I was considering to buy. Good to know you are happy with it. I thought about getting 1/2" for lug nuts. Correct?

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Quijote.
The torque wrench you recommended is the one I was considering to buy. Good to know you are happy with it. I thought about getting 1/2" for lug nuts. Correct?

Correct. However, because it is half 1/2" drive, it is long (tough to fit in tight spaces) and the settings don't go down low enough, which is why I got the 3/8" drive for smaller and lower-torque jobs. I've had the 1/4" drive version on my amazon wishlist forever, but I'll wait on that one a bit.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've just ordered the torque wrench Quijote recommended.
Now, I am searching for a floor jack.
What do you guys use for our LR4s?
I thought about getting Norco 71335 3 1/2 Ton Capacity SUV& Service Truck Jack
http://www.norcoindustries.com/products/model/71335.html
Anything I should be aware before ordering this tool.
Thanks in advance for any advice, comments.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That should be plenty of lift, even without the 3" extension thingie (21" and up should do the trick regardless of whether you run on stock wheels or oversized A/T tires.) Must be expensive and heavy as hell, but it looks like a really nice jack to have in your garage.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know, i have a long arm jack and its not enough....

DSC_5509_zps44fecd46.jpg

DSC_5516_zps0a1ddfab.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99