Fuel tank capacity- Sucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blueaz

Reaction score
Oh man. The first few pages of this thread is a trip down memory lane of once-regular posters who aren't regulars any more.
Funny coincidence.....I purchased my truck's wheels and fuel tank skid plate from the original poster of this thread, umbertob.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny coincidence.....I purchased my truck's wheels and fuel tank skid plate from the original poster of this thread, umbertob.

He's moved on to new Defender land. This forum was slow to create a new Defender subforum, so most of those owners are on a different board.

If I recall correctly, he managed to put a substantial number of miles on his LR4. Well above 200k miles. And, he did not have many issues with his.

Blueaz

Reaction score
He's moved on to new Defender land. This forum was slow to create a new Defender subforum, so most of those owners are on a different board.

If I recall correctly, he managed to put a substantial number of miles on his LR4. Well above 200k miles. And, he did not have many issues with his.
Yes, he was buying a new Defender and returning his LR4 to stock. Really great guy - answered a lot of my newb questions about the LR4. I bought his Compomotive wheels and the fuel tank skid. Had the wheels stripped & re-powder coated in a satin silver.

Blueaz

Reaction score
deleted, wrong thread

Last edited:

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just saw this thread pop up. FYI.. the Long Range America 28 gallon aux fuel tank is now available in the U.S. with some new tweaks to the fuel filler hose/pipe that allows it to fit without fabrication work. Makes the install a bit easier. Me and a buddy installed it over a couple days (and we were using prototype pipes and giving LRA feedback on it). If you are interested I think you can get a discount with "IOWALR4" which is my instagram name.

I just did about 2,200 off road miles of the continental divide overland route. The tank is tucked up really well, I don't think I touched it more than one time and its built for it so I am not worried. Amazing having nearly 50 gallons of fuel. Others in the group had to use jerry cans to make the distances but I just hit the button to move fuel over. Well worth the money IMO.

1694696109374.png

1694696192582.png

1694696131611.png

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just saw this thread pop up. FYI.. the Long Range America 28 gallon aux fuel tank is now available in the U.S. with some new tweaks to the fuel filler hose/pipe that allows it to fit without fabrication work. Makes the install a bit easier. Me and a buddy installed it over a couple days (and we were using prototype pipes and giving LRA feedback on it). If you are interested I think you can get a discount with "IOWALR4" which is my instagram name.

I just did about 2,200 off road miles of the continental divide overland route. The tank is tucked up really well, I don't think I touched it more than one time and its built for it so I am not worried. Amazing having nearly 50 gallons of fuel. Others in the group had to use jerry cans to make the distances but I just hit the button to move fuel over. Well worth the money IMO.

View attachment 23896
View attachment 23898

View attachment 23897

Yep. Single best modification I have made to mine.

I can attest that the tank will take a lickin' and roll on. Mine has a couple of deep dents and several gouges from crawling over rocks.

I would be interested to see how they modded the fill system. Mine took a bit of fab and welding to get it sorted, but this was 5ish years ago. Actually had to import mine directly, pay customs, pick up at Port of Houston, etc.

Curious if yours ever throws a CEL? Mine will occasionally throw one for "vapor flow incorrect direction" or similar. Usually only when both tanks are filled to the brim. Never a performance issue, so just clear with IID and drive on.

Blueaz

Reaction score
I've discussed this with my local Rover mechanic. He said they did one installation years ago and it was very difficult to get the fill system to play nice with all of the emissions systems. Sounds like the situation has been improved. Another idea to avoid the emissions system and CEL issues would be to just mount the tank, install a small fuel pump and filler hose and then fill yourself up when needed.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On some cars if you run them out of gas the fuel pump burns up because it uses fuel as lube and to cool off. If it runs out of gas you need more than a fill up to get back on the road again. Has anyone ran their LR4 out of gas and did the pump survive?

Blueaz

Reaction score
Well you'd certainly want to fill yourself up with your auxiliary tank before you ran out of gas.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That is a nice rig. What do you think about the rear locker? I'm curious about the auxiliary tank. This might be a long shot but is it designed in such a way that you could draw from it to fill a generator? I'm planning to overland in my '12 but I have 2 5 Wavian cans that I use. It would be sweet to get rid of the cans saving precious cargo space and keep the weight from the gas down low.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72