How many of you have a chipped windshield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roverine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any experience with chip repair to a heated windshield?

I just received the blessing of a rock hit causing a nickel-sized chip in my heated windshield-right in my direct line of sight. Has anyone who has tried a chip repair experienced any problems with the defroster/ice melting functionality of their heated windshield? The repair would have to cut some of the wires embedded in the glass, and I wonder if it will still work after the repair.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just received the blessing of a rock hit causing a nickel-sized chip in my heated windshield-right in my direct line of sight. Has anyone who has tried a chip repair experienced any problems with the defroster/ice melting functionality of their heated windshield? The repair would have to cut some of the wires embedded in the glass, and I wonder if it will still work after the repair.

Are you sure the wire is IN the outside layer of the glass? I always assumed it was adhered to the safety film in between the two layers of glass.

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
chips galore. almost enough for a whole bag. I honestly never had a windshield or front end chip so much in both paint and glass. I try to avoid trailers on the highway. I am about a year in on my LR3 and the front end has about 3-5 years of paint chips and plenty of windshield chips to spot. I have a 12" portion on my passenger side that does not defrost, but not from chips. Im hoping LR will replace the windshield and Ill have a fresh glass to chip up.

Roverine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure the wire is IN the outside layer of the glass? I always assumed it was adhered to the safety film in between the two layers of glass.

I don't know. I guess I will try a chip repair service and ask them what they think. I didn't know that you could replace only the outer layer (maybe not?) If it works, I'll save a bundle on replacement of the whole screen.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge