How to convince my sister to buy an LR4 instead of a Honda Odyssey?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it's a T6 then? I hope sooooo. The Dinan software on my wagon really transformed it. 380 hp/ 420 lb-ft and very smooth with the twin turbos but I can still get 26-28 mpg cruising at 70 mph.

I like those XC70's. A friend has one from 2 generations ago with stiffer sway bars and upgraded brakes ;)

amneme1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IPD has a tune, another company as well. After changing all the fluids and putting larger intake tubing on, delete the resonator, and put on XC90 shocks/springs it will be worthy for me. I have the sways for it also, it's a P2 T5 low pressure so not much else I could do. I already manipulated the waste gate to give me more midrange and low end. It's a futile effort in a family car dive I have a Miata and a 69 Grand Prix as well.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try that combination: True full size wagon (not hatch backs), 6 spd, AWD, decent cargo volume, fun to drive, comfortable. It's a narrow field instantly which now even requires thinking in terms of all used cars just to end up with a few choices.

My favorite combo as well...full size, V6, AWD wagon with a manual transmission. After driving manual Accords for 10 years, got a dog in '98 so switched to a V6 A4 avant. Then moved up to the bigger 2002 allroad. Best car ever. When my allroad was done, Audi was done bringing the A6 allroad here. Only Audi wagon available was that "smallroad" with the 2.0T & automatic combo that I hate. Thankfully I found a good used 2004 allroad that I drove until I took over my wife's LR3. So sad to see the MT, AWD, full size wagon go the way of the dinosaur here in the US.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The question you have to ask her is what's more important: vanity or overall utility?

Yep, exactly the point.

My stay at home wife is more concerned about functionality, convenience, and making the transportation experience easier and more enjoyable. The minivan does this in spades. You may not look like it from the outside, but on the inside it will feel like you're traveling in a house with all of those amenities. Add a Thule on top and it's comfort city.

100% of the time I prefer to be "seen" in my LR4, but any family with kids in carseat is settling and sacrificing comfort and convenience by taking an SUV over a minivan.

I've been asking my wife over the last year about a change, "so now that the kids are in booster seats how'd you like to look at BMW or Audi SUVs?" The response is "Nope, I love the Odyssey." :eek:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100% of the time I prefer to be "seen" in my LR4, but any family with kids in carseat is settling and sacrificing comfort and convenience by taking an SUV over a minivan.

I've been asking my wife over the last year about a change, "so now that the kids are in booster seats how'd you like to look at BMW or Audi SUVs?" The response is "Nope, I love the Odyssey." :eek:

I didn't know non-public persona people cared at all about what vehicle they're "seen in". Unless I'm being paid by someone, I couldn't care less what other people think about my ride.

Good for her. Put that $ toward something better.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't know non-public persona people cared at all about what vehicle they're "seen in".

Sure you did. That's where these threads and the minivan paranoia come from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rovingtony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are right. It will be hard to convince your sister since the Honda Odyssey is indeed the perfect family car.

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife is on her fifth Odyssey (2015 touring elite)....she's "strayed" twice as our kids are now 12 and 16 but keeps coming back to it - I've gotten a leftover XC90 and CX9 mid-lease when she decided to go back. Friends, sports equipment, dogs, and a long weekend make it tough not to like it. We just did a "weekend trip" with another family, 8 people, 330 miles each way, two tanks of fuel total, an extra set of wireless headphones for the rear passengers and 5 hours each way and no complaints...may not do well off road, but is a silent, capable and reliable long distance hauler. I feel it's much more "car-like" than the Toyota, but haven't driven one long enough to really judge. Now...I tinted the front windows due to the extreme sun here...not because i don't want to be seen in it..but......

antichrist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My sister has 3 toddlers. She loves my LR3 but thinks it is not practical for her due to the absence of cargo space if the 3rd seats are up. She wants to buy an Odyssey instead as she thinks it is more practical for her family needs.

How do you suggest I convince her to buy the LR4 instead? Any way you folks have gotten over the space issue behind the 3rd row? Thanks
I don't understand why you would want to convince her to buy something she says won't meet her needs?

amneme1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps she doesn't know it will meet her needs until she tries it, kind of the same thing Pelosi said about the health care bill. My wife tends to pack heavy and the LR has "trained" her and I to take what we need, important word there kids, need. I tend to not be so snobby, but I will refer back to previous statements: wife and I work hard long hours tending to the needs of others. At the end of the day the little rewards in life are sometimes found in a soothing environment of a fine automobile. Yes, I can't argue over the ultimate utility of the Odyssey, but so far Honda and even Acura haven't come close to the LR. For those of you enjoying a minivan, no offense to you at all, I just have a difficult time being a driver or a passenger in one...now here is the insult: to me it's similar to a fat chick wearing tight yoga pants...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM