LR3 car care questions (waxing, UV protectant, antifreeze)....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some random questions on car care?

-Is there a difference between wax and polish? I have been using polish for years now because it is a lot easier to apply and remove. I use Finish First products.

-If you apply two coats of polish or wax, does it really make a difference? People still tell my my '05 looks new (they're not looking that close) but it doesn't have that high gloss almost liquid looking finish that some cars have.

-What do you use for all the plastic on the car? Something easy to keep it fresh looking and protect the plastic from UV. I'm thinking of something other than Armor All as I have found that that product requires you to regularly apply it once you start! Just curious what else you have found that worked. There is a lot of plastic on the lower part of our vehicles! I don't need it shiny, I just want it to stay "new" looking.

-Antifreeze...I stopped in the auto store this weekend, they only had a few kinds of antifreeze but it was all yellow (50/50) or orange. All the containers said it can be used to replace or add to any color of antifreeze. The product in the LR3 from the factory is red and the manual calls out a Texaco product that was not available in the store I looked. Can we use anything or should we look for the Texaco that is recommended.? The temperature ranges on the one I bought are the same as the manual calls out.

Thanks!

dropper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Polish prepares the paint for wax... you actually get most of your shine from polish. One coat of wax is enough.

My semi-annual routine is claybar, P21S polish, P21S wax. It keeps the finish relatively high gloss without too much work. All interim washes are by hand as I have great dislike for swirl marks.

If you really want to learn there is a lot of great info on detailing over at Audiworld - this rabbit hole goes pretty deep.

http://forums.audiworld.com/detail/

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this wasn't your exact question, but I've been a huge fan of Zaino for ~4 years now - I wouldn't use anything else.

And I never use a wax - Zaino's polish is durable enough that a wax isn't needed - plus it is so easy to put on I'll do it every couple months. It was #1 rated by gurureports:

http://www.gurureports.org/

In addition, here is an excellent review:

http://www.ffcobra.com/magazine/waxtest.html

You can buy it at www.zainobros.com

-Rich

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this wasn't your exact question, but I've been a huge fan of Zaino for ~4 years now - I wouldn't use anything else.

And I never use a wax - Zaino's polish is durable enough that a wax isn't needed - plus it is so easy to put on I'll do it every couple months. It was #1 rated by gurureports:

-Rich

I've been using this on the TT since I got it in 2004 and it's worked great.

Oh, and he's not kidding about those Audi people do into a lot of details about how they... well... detail.

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been using this on the TT since I got it in 2004 and it's worked great.

Oh, and he's not kidding about those Audi people do into a lot of details about how they... well... detail.

Have you tried the new Zaino Z-CS? It is awesome. I switched to it about 6 months ago and I swear it is one of the best polishes ever. Expensive; but awesome.

I also recently started using their tire shine (fantastic - no oily residue to fly up on the side of your car) and leather conditioner (it really does smell incredible). I've also been using their car wash and detail spray for some time.

I know I'm a sucker, but I love their stuff - one of the few products I have ever owned that I wouldn't change a single thing on - it is perfect as is.

-Rich

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried the new Zaino Z-CS? It is awesome. I switched to it about 6 months ago and I swear it is one of the best polishes ever. Expensive; but awesome.

I also recently started using their tire shine (fantastic - no oily residue to fly up on the side of your car) and leather conditioner (it really does smell incredible). I've also been using their car wash and detail spray for some time.

I know I'm a sucker, but I love their stuff - one of the few products I have ever owned that I wouldn't change a single thing on - it is perfect as is.

-Rich

No, I haven't tried that but the TT is due for some TLC pretty soon so maybe I'll order some and see how it works.

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I haven't tried that but the TT is due for some TLC pretty soon so maybe I'll order some and see how it works.

It is amazing - shoot me a PM before you use it and I'll tell you a few hints/tricks I learned using it.

-Rich

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am also a staunch proponent of Zaino products and have no desire to try anything else. My '05 looks great, and I take it out often enough that it probably shouldn't look so good. I have (hand) buffed out plenty of minor pint-striping with Zaino Z-5 and that stuff seems to make the gunk come off even easier.

As for plastics I use Vinylex (I think that's what it's called) it actually got recommended on this board years ago; I tried it and liked it.

I am not so sure on the anti-freeze, it really depends on how paranoid you are. One time I was low on coolant and found some green-colored "mixes with anything" coolant and put a little in. The guys at the dealer service dept freaked out and said next time just add water if you're low and bring it in. They flushed the radiator, put in the right stuff and charged me $100. I honestly don't know if they were full of crap or not, but just to be safe, I'd find the Texaco stuff. Maybe try a Texaco service station...?

Patriot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a relatively low-cost and time-saving wax, may I recommend Ice (by Turtle Wax)? It goes on and comes off easy, leaves a great shine, and won't leave the white residue on the exterior plastic or glass.

I have the Porter Cable, and have used all the expensive stuff. For me and my needs right now, Ice does a great job.

Patriot

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I am not so sure on the anti-freeze, it really depends on how paranoid you are. One time I was low on coolant and found some green-colored "mixes with anything" coolant and put a little in. The guys at the dealer service dept freaked out and said next time just add water if you're low and bring it in. They flushed the radiator, put in the right stuff and charged me $100. I honestly don't know if they were full of crap or not, but just to be safe, I'd find the Texaco stuff. Maybe try a Texaco service station...?

Yes, that is the reaction I got today. Something about non-recommended fluid can cause corrosion to the alluminum parts or something. ? Anyway, they didn't think the 20 oz. that I added would harm the system and it will get flushed out at 60,000 miles anyway. I'm at 55K now.

Appreciate the wax tips. Keep 'em coming! I will have a look a the Zaino products. I have never tried the clay bar technique. I seem to find time to wax my car twice a year which is when I apply the polish. I'm thinking I wouldn't have time for a 3 step process (clay, polish, wax....or whatever). So will have to stick with a quick coat of something. I do go around and spot treat scratches that I see. I'm about 50/50 on actually getting them out, though.

A dent guy was working on my car last year and he did a really good job wet sanding out a scratch. It completely went away. I tried to remember everything he did, but at this point I have forgotten the grit of sandfpaper he used, and the products he buffed on after the fact. (as you would expect, it looks awful after the sanding, but then comes out nice with the waxing).

I'll look at that UV treatment. Thanks for the tips.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72