LR3 car care questions (waxing, UV protectant, antifreeze)....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Zaino is really awesome; and it smells incredible !

I never really knew about this sort of stuff or process. A co-worker of mine that is a car-care fanatic told me about it. For me, using a clay bar was a wake-up call. It's not something I do all the time, but certainly a couple times a year. It's incredible...it just takes out all sorts of gunk. It's definitely a chore. Wash it, clay it, wash it again (or at least rinse and dry it) and then finally polish it....2 coats of polish.

The whole thing can take 3 to 4 hours. Bring a radio and a half-rack of beer.

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This will sound like a Griot's ad but for the LR3 I'm all for quick, but effective. I wash the beast and dry with a chamois. Then spray Paint Prep on the paint(duh!) and rub with a soft cloth. Rinse thoroughly till the water runs smooth. Take a Random Orbitol Polisher, Polishing pad (orange), and do the whole truck with One Step Sealant (which has a mild polish), wait until it dries, and take-off with big-thick wax removal cloth using Speed Shine or Spray on Wax on the tough to remove areas.

Next Wash use Spray on Wax or Meguiar's #26 for a fantastic shine. Last 4-6 months parked outside. I use Spray on Wax after every wash between chamois and towel drying. Sometimes I will clay before the Paint Prep for sap, bugs, and Redwood Stains-ugh!. I use Polish #1 on the areas for deep scratches and the Lanka system for any paint touch-up.

This is low maintenance compared to the regimen empolyed on my Cayman.

dropper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Houm, does that Vinylex product blacken the plastic or just clean and shine it? My trim needs some TLC.

Thanks.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think I'd say it does anything but clean and shine it...much like Armor All. It's supposed to be better than Armor All, though...but I notice that my plastic does fade over time (exterior) but I don't know if that's just dirt or what.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I'll try this 303 Protectant;
http://tinyurl.com/2n7627

I use it on other items (kayaks, hot tub covers, etc.) and it seems to protect without a shine. In my experience, it is the shine ingredient that has you running to retreat your black plastic/rubber after you start with any other products. I don't actually want my trim to shine or look any different than when it came out of the factory. I just don't want it to get faded and/or chalky. Does that make sense?

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the GX would be the LR3's predecessor, though we had both at the same time for about a year. A very nice, capable truck with no soul; but soft leather and wood.

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the GX would be the LR3's predecessor, though we had both at the same time for about a year. A very nice, capable truck with no soul; but soft leather and wood.

It's funny, but my mom had a Lexus a while ago and that was exactly what I thought about it. It was capable, solid and soulless. Now she drives an Acura... it's a small step up in the soul department.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72