LR3 Purchased New 2005 105000 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just rolled over 100K and I couldn't be more pleased. Its about time for a bushings change and I also spoke with an engineer over at ZF that specifically deals with this gearbox. He informed me that they informed LRNA that they gearbox fluid should be changed at 75K. The previous notion of a sealed for life gearbox is out of the question. I checked the fluid and it was black. Jet black and burnt to be honest and I can't get a single LR dealer in Houston to touch it. I started to notice a bit of a jitter at 70 mph when it was trying to stay in 6 gear. It could be easily done by yourself but internal fluid temp is crucial for proper fluid change. He sent me PDF files to back his information and will get them posted tomorrow. I am also noticing a coolant issue and was curious if anyone has done a flush themselves. So not having an IDS system does anyone have any other ideas of acquiring internal fluid temps? The car has been phenomenal and I use it quite hard, but this gearbox issue is beginning to make me a bit nervous. Any ideas? Thanks guys

SoldiersLR3

Reaction score
2005 HSE LR3 at 196,000 miles and going strong. I've read several post (mostly complaints) about LR3s. I must be the exception. Much like Conerly, I've experienced and invested the same. Suspension, tires, coolant warning lamp plus a few other issues etc., etc. The LR3 is a great vehicle...yes it requires lots of maintenance but if you take care of the LR3 it will last. As a matter of fact; I drove a newer lowner LR3 this past year and I was amazed at how well my LR3 drove compared to the newer one.

I am considering the LR4 but not ready to part with my LR3.

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've changed the tranny fluid myself in two of my audis. Both had zf transmissions with the lifetime fluid claimed by audi...so I imagine the procedure is similar. The instructions called for knowing the internal temp of the tranny as well. I have the interface for audi so I could get ithe temp but most guys just let the transmission drain overnight and do the fill procedure in the next day. This insures that the fluid does not get over the specified temp while filling. 40 degrees centigrade or something around there IIRC. I found that it would have worked fine either way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM