Lr4 Nav?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, how do you early-adopters like the NAV on the LR4? Haven't heard much discussion on it.

(1) Do you know how map updates are to be loaded since there isn't a DVD drive? It'd be nice if they just gave you a memory stick you could plug in here;
http://images53.fotki.com/v1579/photos/6/666681/6912527/photo-vi.jpg

(2) What about memory points? The LR3 is limited to an annoying 100 or 200 points (I forget which). Once full, I now have to delete a couple any time I want to store a new location. I would hope with the new hard drive based system there is much more space available for memory points.

(3) What functionality do you have while driving? I assume it shuts off some options, unfortunately.

Any other feedback on this NAV vs. others you have used?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new satnav doesn't appear to be much of an improvement in those respects.

1) I don't know if Land Rover has released specifics regarding map update procedures on their hard drive system yet, but they definitely won't happen through the USB port as that input is not connected to the satnav's hard drive, it's strictly for memory stick music playback. I get the feeling the dealer will have to be involved in uploading new maps - which would be a step back from the way we update the current DVD version, if you ask me. I bet it won't be any cheaper, either. :hmpf:

2) Still only 106 total memory points: Home, 5 "One-touch" on the bottom of the screen, and 100 to store in the database. No changes.

3) Sadly, (in North America, different story in other markets) the new hard drive system still locks you out of almost everything while the car is in motion, no changes there either.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score

2) Still only 106 total memory points: Home, 5 "One-touch" on the bottom of the screen, and 100 to store in the database. No changes.
Wow. This is a shocker. The 2010 NAV still has the same memory limit as the model from 5 years ago? ***? Memory has gotten sooooo much cheaper and there isn't that much data there in each point even if you do add a voice prompt (which I bet most do not). Clearly a poor design decision. I was expecting 500 or some number where you really wouldn't hit the upper limit.

Maybe they can fix this on in a SW update if everyone shouts enough! In a car NAV today, you should be able to import/export memory points from your PC or some other NAV system.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question for 2010 owners with nav: A member on our RRS forum is complaining that the car on the guidance maps displayed on his touchscreen is represented by a blue arrow that flashes on and off as it moves on the map, which he finds very annoying (I don't own a 2010, but it would sound annoying indeed...), is this normal behavior? Or is the blinking blue icon trying to tell him something? Also, he is complaining that, unlike the 2005-2009 satnav where lowering the volume of the voice instructions with the volume knob would "stick" for the next set of instructions and/or until the car was restarted, on the 2010s the volume always defaults back to the preset level the next time the lady speaks... True? Thanks for any insight.

Last edited:

jasonsmith092

Reaction score
There are lotsof ideas here!!!!!!!!!
but people seem to be very casual with this site!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Any body interested in a joint venture ?
I got some stuff to share

dstrickler

Reaction score
Question for 2010 owners with nav: A member on our RRS forum is complaining that the car on the guidance maps displayed on his touchscreen is represented by a blue arrow that flashes on and off as it moves on the map, which he finds very annoying (I don't own a 2010, but it would sound annoying indeed...), is this normal behavior? Or is the blinking blue icon trying to tell him something? Also, he is complaining that, unlike the 2005-2009 satnav where lowering the volume of the voice instructions with the volume knob would "stick" for the next set of instructions and/or until the car was restarted, on the 2010s the volume always defaults back to the preset level the next time the lady speaks... True? Thanks for any insight.

Yes, the blue triangle flashes. A bad UI design to be sure.

And yes, I can't get the Nav voice to go to an acceptable volume level, so I have shut off the voice for now.

This could very well be my ignorance of the system workings, but considering I'm a software programmer, I pick up tech pretty quickly. The LR4 has the least intuitive interface of any car system I have ever seen. I can tell they have tried to make it work well, as there are lots of features, many of which are not trivial to implement, but the overall interface was better in my 2002 Acura MDX, and that's a sad statement.

In another thread, a poster noted on a complaint that the person shouldn't expect perfection from a car, and I certainly don't. I do, however, expect that a company with a lineage as long as LR would have the basics of the electronics in the car at least on par with it's competitors.

I love the ride, the cargo room, and the overall feel of the car - 100% satisfied, but the Nav is subpar. I hope firmware upgrades will fix this.

dstrickler

Reaction score
(1) Do you know how map updates are to be loaded since there isn't a DVD drive? It'd be nice if they just gave you a memory stick you could plug in here;
http://images53.fotki.com/v1579/photos/6/666681/6912527/photo-vi.jpg

When you're in the Diag mode of the Nav, there is a setting to upload a new Nav system (I assume this is firmware) into the Nav system. Clearly this is there just for the dealers, but I would guess you bring the car into a dealer and they do the upload for you.

ByGuile

Reaction score
I rather enjoy the Nav system.
The Voice Commands are fun to use.
"I'm Hungry" and the nearest restaurants all pop up on the POI. Very cool.
Now the Nav in My Sister-in-Laws Lexus RX 350 is a little better I will grant you, but I am still happy with the Nav in the LR4. I Took delivery just a month ago, so I do have the update.

dstrickler

Reaction score
I rather enjoy the Nav system.
The Voice Commands are fun to use.
"I'm Hungry" and the nearest restaurants all pop up on the POI. Very cool.
Now the Nav in My Sister-in-Laws Lexus RX 350 is a little better I will grant you, but I am still happy with the Nav in the LR4. I Took delivery just a month ago, so I do have the update.

That's what stuns me here. Clearly there are clever/advanced features of the Nav like the "I'm hungry" feature. As a Programmer, that says to me people put a lot of thought into how this Nav is going to be used. Instead of "Show POI food", you can say "I'm hungry".

So if they didn't just slap this together, then a few other things should work better unless the lawyers got to them and mucked it all up.

ByGuile

Reaction score
Yes dstrickler, I agree. I feel the same way about the lack of a power option on the rear lift-gate and window. Some things that are standard on all equivalent vehicles are sadly missing on the LR4. But I am still in the Honey-moon phase with my LR4, and I love it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635