LR4 Offroad Performance WITHOUT Heavey Duty Package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Honestly, you could probably do that in a Subaru, or any relatively high clearance 4wd vehicle. No low range - or A/T tires - needed there. Just realize that Land Rover picks those trails for a reason during their Wheels events (or whatever they call them these days), so everyone can join in, Evoques on 22" included. When you go on your own or - hopefully - with a club, things don't always look so hunky-dory. Here in SoCal, 90% of the trails our local Land Rover club goes to are 99% doable without a low range. It's that 1% that can be a bummer if you don't have a 2-speed transfer case.

Last edited:

R Hermann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point! I suppose they would be hesitant to take newcomers on anything risky.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is interesting how the discussion about Heavy Duty Package has changed since 2013. Before we were talking about having or not having a rear locker. Now we are talking about LR4 with a single speed transfer case.

Can some of moderate trails be done without low range ? Yes they can, but you are compromising control and safety. I can not imagine taking LR4 off road without low range. Once you engage low range gearing the LR4 feels like a completely different vehicle. If you travel on forest roads or maintained gravel roads you can do it a family sedan.
For anyone who thinks about taking LR4 off-road low range is a must.

R Hermann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I was not aware that they were separate offerings in the previous model. To be clear- the '13 was available with locking diff. and two-speed case as separate options? One could order a '13 LR4 with locking diff and single speed transfer case?

Thanks again, there is a lot for me to learn.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I was not aware that they were separate offerings in the previous model. To be clear- the '13 was available with locking diff. and two-speed case as separate options? One could order a '13 LR4 with locking diff and single speed transfer case?

Thanks again, there is a lot for me to learn.

The '13's and previous were only available with a 2 speed transfer case. The HD option added a rear locker.

No discovery was ever manufactured without a 2-speed transfer case until 2014.

Dealerships will tell you that you only need a 2-speed transfer case if you do extreme off-roading because they are (1) trying to sell you a car, and maybe (2) have never been off-road themselves. Low range adds another level of control and precision off-road. I would never buy an SUV without it.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, you could probably do that in a Subaru, or any relatively high clearance 4wd vehicle. No low range - or A/T tires - needed there. Just realize that Land Rover picks those trails for a reason during their Wheels events (or whatever they call them these days), so everyone can join in, Evoques on 22" included. When you go on your own or - hopefully - with a club, things don't always look so hunky-dory. Here in SoCal, 90% of the trails our local Land Rover club goes to are 99% doable without a low range. It's that 1% that can be a bummer if you don't have a 2-speed transfer case.

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. Is that an "off-road" course or a forest service road highway!

Don't know what our local LR dealer does for events these days but years ago it was trails through the trees (not some bulldozed course), teeter-totter balance challenges and loose shale rock hill climb (steep) that any single-speed xfer case would fail. The only truck to make it cleanly to the top was a D90 with lockers front and rear. The early 2000's DII with locking center diff and traction control took several attempts and speed to be successful. Didn't try it in our D1 as we were open diff front and rear at the time.

Can't image this current crop of fashion statement LR's doing all that well or even trying.

R Hermann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!
In your opinion, a comparable tire equipped '13 LR4 would be better than a '16 without the H/D package because of the low range -even with the added electronic traction control goodies on the '16?

There is a decent selection of '13 LR4's without the H/D package but few with it for sale right now.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There were no added traction control "goodies" on the '16. The traction control system (including Terrain Response) and subsystems are the same they have been since 2010. The 2016s added other "goodies" of dubious value to someone wishing to off road these vehicles... Obtrusive side steps, a weird stop/start system, a smaller engine with less grunt. Just about the only bit of equipment I'd yank from a 2016 to put it in my 13 personally would be that 8-speed transmission, although I am not sure its additional gears would benefit my normally aspirated V8 like as much as they apparently do with the SC V6. I can't compare as I haven't driven a 2016, but the 6-speed transmission on my 2013 is one smooth cat.

But, you would be buying a 3-year old car with an unknown history versus a brand-spanking-new one with all the latest gadgets and colors you like. You may care very little about the off-roading bits that are the main reason many of us on this forum flocked to the LR4 to begin with. We represent a minority - a vocal one apparently, but a minority nevertheless - of the typical owner who buys this car, and who is never going to see any dirt other than an occasional gravel road, beach or grassy field. That's why Land Rover made the 2-speed transfer case optional: they aren't stupid and know who they need to cater to. So, I don't know which one is "better" for you, I am just glad I don't have to make that choice because I already own the best LR4 ever made and I'll drive it until it's dead. ;)

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!
In your opinion, a comparable tire equipped '13 LR4 would be better than a '16 without the H/D package because of the low range -even with the added electronic traction control goodies on the '16?

There is a decent selection of '13 LR4's without the H/D package but few with it for sale right now.

You do realize that the HD package is locking rear diff and heavy duty axles only. The 2-speed xfer case is not part of the HD package. It was standard, with or without HD package. You have to check a vehicle for options to see if HD was added.

The 2 speed xfer case was standard in '13 and included a locking 2-speed center diff as well as traction control.

Traction control is basically reverse anti-lock brakes that limits the free wheeling of individual corners based on traction. ABS releases a brake to allow spin, traction control applies the brake to prevent free wheeling of a corner wheel, thereby transferring power to the other side. It in essence slows forward progress/power to the ground in favor of wheel traction. The traction control selector basically manages the algorithms based on expected conditions. It works left/right but not forward/rear. One axle only. For LR I believe each axle is managed separately. That said LR has developed its version to offer the best for off road, called Terrain Response. But it is still just wheel spin management.

In summary there are 3 levels of traction management:

- Traction control only with single speed center diff

- Traction control with 2 speed center diff

- Traction control with 2 speed center diff and HD option

Personally I would think 2-speed xfer case is minimum while traction control is just what is the industry standard these days. Moving to a 8-speed transmission should help but still .....

R Hermann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"a smaller engine with less grunt..."

When I first started looking at the '13 and found one I liked I sent my brother a message, "She's the last of the V-8's!"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72