LR4 Offroad Performance WITHOUT Heavey Duty Package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL, I was thinking the same thing. Is that an "off-road" course or a forest service road highway!

Don't know what our local LR dealer does for events these days but years ago it was trails through the trees (not some bulldozed course), teeter-totter balance challenges and loose shale rock hill climb (steep) that any single-speed xfer case would fail. The only truck to make it cleanly to the top was a D90 with lockers front and rear. The early 2000's DII with locking center diff and traction control took several attempts and speed to be successful. Didn't try it in our D1 as we were open diff front and rear at the time.

Can't image this current crop of fashion statement LR's doing all that well or even trying.

In June, I went to the annual off-road event out on by my local Land Rover dealer (Land Rover Merriam), and I thought it was fairly legit. They rented out this off-road park for the entire day:

http://www.ksrockspark.com/

There's no way a vehicle without low range would have made it. The dealer drove some Evoques down there, but left them in the parking lot.

R Hermann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please correct me if needed:

"In summary there are 3 levels of traction management:

- Traction control only with single speed center diff
This would be any '14-on Rover without the Heavy Duty Package or most other non-Jeep AWD/4WD vehicles in U.S.

- Traction control with 2 speed center diff
And this is any LR4 before '13 without the H/D option

- Traction control with 2 speed center diff and HD option"
This bowl of porridge is just right, if I can find it on any Rover.

R Hermann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There were no added traction control "goodies" on the '16. The traction control system (including Terrain Response) and subsystems are the same they have been since 2010..."
- Thanks, that is good info.

"But, you would be buying a 3-year old car with an unknown history versus a brand-spanking-new one with all the latest gadgets and colors you like. You may care very little about the off-roading bits that are the main reason many of us on this forum flocked to the LR4 to begin with. We represent a minority - a vocal one apparently, but a minority nevertheless - of the typical owner who buys this car, and who is never going to see any dirt other than an occasional gravel road, beach or grassy field. That's why Land Rover made the 2-speed transfer case optional: they aren't stupid and know who they need to cater to. So, I don't know which one is "better" for you, I am just glad I don't have to make that choice because I already own the best LR4 ever made and I'll drive it until it's dead. ;)
- My first car was almost a '72 FJ40. It needed more work than I could afford or felt capable of doing myself as a 16 y.o. Some decisions affect you the rest of your life... I think it is time to make things right. :)

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please correct me if needed:

"In summary there are 3 levels of traction management:

- Traction control only with single speed center diff
This would be any '14-on Rover without the Heavy Duty Package or most other non-Jeep AWD/4WD vehicles in U.S.

- Traction control with 2 speed center diff
And this is any LR4 before '13 without the H/D option

- Traction control with 2 speed center diff and HD option"
This bowl of porridge is just right, if I can find it on any Rover.

You are drawing your lines in strange directions.

There are many vehicles that have 2-speed center differentials. Jeeps, Toyotas, Rovers, Nissans, Mercedes, etc.

It's best to just focus on the LR4.

All LR4's have some form of electronic traction control.

From '09 to '13, all LR4's had 2-speed center differentials. The HD option added a rear locker.

From '14 to '16.5, LR4's had single-speed center differentials. The HD option added a 2-speed center differential and a rear locker.

R Hermann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it, thanks!

And I will try to limit my excursions towards silliness. :)

R Hermann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The '13's and previous were only available with a 2 speed transfer case. The HD option added a rear locker.

No discovery was ever manufactured without a 2-speed transfer case until 2014.

Dealerships will tell you that you only need a 2-speed transfer case if you do extreme off-roading because they are (1) trying to sell you a car, and maybe (2) have never been off-road themselves. Low range adds another level of control and precision off-road. I would never buy an SUV without it.

Hopefully the last question(s) for this thread:

What does the locker rear diff give you in real-world use? I think it is important in those moments when diagonal wheels are off the ground but does the '13 have enough techno-traction to handle those situations without a locker?

For the foreseeable future, my biggest challenge will be unplowed/deep snow on gravel/dirt roads while using all-season tires.

As always, I really do appreciate your time and effort to educate me.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The traction control takes a bit more wheel spin to determine it needs to do something to regain traction; the rear locker is more elegant in operation when required, and doesn't require the same throttle modulation as the non-HD variant.

If you don't ever plan on doing much, if any, more technical off roading, the HD option on the '13 and older LR4s isn't as mandatory as it is on the '14 and newer models.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully the last question(s) for this thread:

What does the locker rear diff give you in real-world use? I think it is important in those moments when diagonal wheels are off the ground but does the '13 have enough techno-traction to handle those situations without a locker?

For the foreseeable future, my biggest challenge will be unplowed/deep snow on gravel/dirt roads while using all-season tires.

As always, I really do appreciate your time and effort to educate me.

For those "challenges" you do not need 2 speed transfer case at all. Any high clearance AWD car will make it. I still would recommend dedicated winter tires.

I am very curious about prices of used LR4s ( 2 speed transfer case vs single speed transfer case) once trucks with a single speed transfer case hit used car market.
People looking for a used LR4 most likely will want to take those truck off road.
This was not a case, so far, with 2010-2013 models ( only difference was a rear locker) and both trucks were very capable off-road.

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL. Purchase already made renders the OP question practically irrelevant . You bought a capable vehicle that you will enjoy. Had the 4x4 aspects mattered much, you would've sought out or ordered a 4x4 version with the desired options. Enjoy your nice vehicle and don't worry about it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72