LR4 Withdrawal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

still-one

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has now been just over a week since I traded my '11 LR4 HSE Lux for a '14 Cayenne Base. Thought some of you might like to know the good and the bad.

First I would have liked to get a new LR4 but here are some of the reasons I looked elsewhere. 1) The dealer had no '14's with the supercharged 6 to test drive. I did drive a '14 RR Sport with the same engine and was not overly impressed even on a vehicle that has gone thru the weight reductions we won't see on the LR4 for some time. 2) I prefer a vehicle with a gear shift rather than a button. I actually rest my hand on the shift lever a lot of the time. Habit I guess. 3) Having to wait from 3 to 6 months assuming the engine shortage issue is resolved was another issue. I would have ordered another LUX. 4) I owned the LR4 for 3 years and 7 months which is the longest I have owned a vehicle besides a sports car. I was getting antsy.

Here are some of the things missing from the Cayenne. Storage ****e. I miss those kittle bins above the wheels in the rear compartment. I miss that rectangular opening above the gear shift that held either a cell phone, glasses. (I think that had been eliminated on the '14's. I miss the ledge above the gloves boxes where I would stuff my Maui Jim sunglass case. I miss the second glove box. I miss the deep storage space/cooler in the arm rest. Quiet Not that I get much road or wind noise in the Porsche, I just think the LR4 was slightly quieter. Ride. Smooth ride The extra ~1400 lbs on the LR4 smoothed out the the crappy roads we have here in Michigan. The Porsche sounds a bit hollow when you hit are bouncing along.

Here are some of what I like about the Porsche. Now I understand that some of these will not be meaningful for those who like to get their vehicles off road etc. Seating I selected one with the 14 way seats option. Although the seat cushions are a bit smaller overall the seats are more comfortable. Mileage I never worried to much about mpg in the LR4 but it sure is nice to see the Porsche getting around 22 just running around town and that 27 gallon tank will let me get around 550 miles on a tank rather than 325. Handling The Cayenne feels like a sports sedan. You forget you are in a SUV. (I know the LR4 was really a truck)

So I have given up a smoother ride, interior volume and some versatility for better handling , better mileage and better electronics. It will be interesting to see if my next one will be the replacement for the LR4 or a Cayenne S. It is a toss up after a week.

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I test drove and almost ordered an "S" that would've retailed around $85K. But after a month of thinking, decided against it: I just couldn't live with the aesthetics of the car (i.e. ugly)

mchenrytl

Reaction score
I was actually considering both as well when I purchased my LR4, but decided on more cargo space over-ruled better mpg. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I definitely wouldn't call the newer Cayenne's ugly. The old ones, that's a different story...

-Troy

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 on the maui jim storage, I do the same thing. I also think it was not smart to loose the cell cubby on the 14. I put my phone there and plug it in.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 on the maui jim storage, I do the same thing. I also think it was not smart to loose the cell cubby on the 14. I put my phone there and plug it in.

I use the little pop out drawer thingy under all the buttons. Works just fine.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know, epiclr4! That is one thing I hadn't tested at the dealership yet. It seems like a little thing but stuff like that can bother me when I switch to a new vehicle. My Acura MDX has a lot of driver-accessible storage and reasonably well designed. Better than the LR4. So I am going to need to figure out what I need to keep in reach and where I can put it. My Maui Jims are a priority. ;-)

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know, epiclr4! That is one thing I hadn't tested at the dealership yet. It seems like a little thing but stuff like that can bother me when I switch to a new vehicle. My Acura MDX has a lot of driver-accessible storage and reasonably well designed. Better than the LR4. So I am going to need to figure out what I need to keep in reach and where I can put it. My Maui Jims are a priority. ;-)

I always put my sunglasses in the door of my vehicles as it keeps them out of sight from thievery. What I like about the LR4 door pockets is that they are lined with carpet and don't scratch my Ray Bans like previous vehicles.

I will clarify that I have an iPhone 5 and it sits in that little drawer and never moves. Even around turns and what not. Just sits there. I also picked up a Belkin USB charger for the 12V outlet and have it hooked to that as having it hooked to the USB in the glove box was a hassle unless I ordered a longer cable.

Currently I have loaded a bunch of music on a 32GB Flash Drive and have it plugged into the USB port since my phone is blue-toothed. This gives endless possibilities to entertainment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM