LR5 Release Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...With a Turbodiesel I6 allegedly making 400 hp and a twin turbo petrol I6 making 500, I wonder if they will even bother offering SCV8s anymore.

Source: http://www.motoring.com.au/jaguar-l...aight-six-petrol-and-diesels-for-2017-102099/

Who'd have thought that we would own the last of the V8 Land Rovers...

Going to be really hard to get rid of my 13' w/ HD

It's the way of the world. I will miss the V8 sound, but if the newer turbo 6s offer better HP, torque, fuel economy, and weight savings? What's the downside?

Hell, even the new 2017 Raptor will be a twin turbo 6 cyl ecoboost. Of course, it is the same engine going into the new GT40 and it will make power than the outgoing V8.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They will probably continue offering some sort of 8-cylinder engine for their most high performance trims. The current RRS SVR already develops 550HP for example, and there is talk of an ever more powerful version down the road to keep up with the AMGs, Ms, Maseratis and Bentleys of the world. But JLR is clearly weaning itself off of its dependence on V6 and V8 Ford sourced engines as of today, which makes perfect sense.

I doubt they will be able to design an inline 8-cylinder (can you imagine how long the hood of a car would have to be?!?), but they could pair a couple of these straight 4 or even straight 6s under the same hood and make themselves some 8 and 12-cylinder monsters, I guess... Could be an exciting development. One thing that JLR almost never screws up is their engines.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-sh...es-ingenium-straight-six-for-launch-in-20171/

Last edited:

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why an inline 8? The entire purpose of an inline 6 is for balance with fewer cylinders. Why would it be necessary in an 8? Some of the most powerful 6 cyl engines have all been inline. Supra's 2JZ-GTE, recent BMWs. All are 3.0L i6 capable of crazy output. It will be interesting to see what JLR cooks up!

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At dealership today. The person in charge of ordering the vehicles said they have a few on the way and they have two more that can be changed no later than mid-May. After that they will not be receiving any more. He also said that it would be the inline 6 like the above posts. Another dealer person commented that it will look like a larger Explorer and he expects some backlash from people since they want a traditional box for the LR4.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why an inline 8? The entire purpose of an inline 6 is for balance with fewer cylinders. Why would it be necessary in an 8? Some of the most powerful 6 cyl engines have all been inline. Supra's 2JZ-GTE, recent BMWs. All are 3.0L i6 capable of crazy output. It will be interesting to see what JLR cooks up!

I am thinking JLR will need an 8-cylinder of some sort (perhaps even a 12 now that Bentley has stolen some of their thunder as the "fastest and most expensive SUV in the world") for its most high-end vehicles - as far as Land Rover is concerned, I am thinking the more expensive trims of Range Rover and RRS (LWB, Autobio, H&H, SVR, etc.), like they do today but probably in a new, modular design of their new Ingenium flat 4 and flat 6 engines. I don't care how many hundreds of horses the engineering wizards at JLR can squeeze out of these new turbocharged I6s, buyers spending that kind of dough, $120K to $200K and up, don't want blown 6-cylinder engines like everyone else.

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At dealership today. The person in charge of ordering the vehicles said they have a few on the way and they have two more that can be changed no later than mid-May. After that they will not be receiving any more. He also said that it would be the inline 6 like the above posts. Another dealer person commented that it will look like a larger Explorer and he expects some backlash from people since they want a traditional box for the LR4.

…………

Meaning they have the new 17 Disco or the last remaining 16's arriving ??

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^ Yes, seems like there are two combined thoughts there. Last 16s changeable until mid-May. [New paragraph] New Disco to get I6 and lovely Explorer-like styling.

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh after my 4th read you mean the 16s. [emoji481]

I had to reread it too (only took me twice to understand what I meant...)

The last of the 16's (and according to him, the LR4) will be coming in in June/July.

The inline 6 and Explorer comments were referring to the new model.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM