LR5 Release Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sychronized seat folding. I can just see this. C'mon kids, let's all hurry up an get in the car, out of this pouring rain. Oh, wait, wait, the seats need to unfold. Waaaiiiit. OK. Now you can get in.

I guess you carry your helmet in your lap.

And as for off-road, that must be the soccer-field terrain mode. It really shows off the approach and departure angles and the wheel articulation.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking, what about the 7 skydivers' crash helmets? Where'd they put those? Either that trunk is way bigger than I thought, or Land Rover embellished that video a little. :biggrin:

Here is a better view of that same car in motion:

ACK! 0:22 into the video...a horror I had not even planned on!!! The middle second row seat no longer folds flat independently on it’s own! The damn thing is attached to the driver's side 2nd row.

It looks like it does the "arm rest fold down" option, but you will not have bed space at the same level as the rear.... maybe some of you don’t understand the significance, but my car always has the two outside seats up (usually with baby seats in them) and the middle one flat. I slide surf boards and cargo in and out of that middle section. The dog crawls back and forth. Trips to the hardware store often don’t even require me to fold anything down. I just slide it in on it’s side. ***...

Did the designers of this thing even use an LR3/LR4?!?
:albertein

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am hoping that black lever visible on the top right shoulder of the center seat is used to manually disengage that seatback from the outboard seat behind the driver, allowing it to fold or unfold on its own if necessary.

jaamrode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Disco Sport has different seating packages when you purchase. You have the option of a 60/40 second row or a 40/20/40. So I assume they will do the same for the full size Disovery.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, this has been a great thread to read and get information on the new "Discovery". I just saw the video yesterday and kept freezing it to try to get some context to the actual size of the vehicle in comparison to the guys. It looks pretty big, but honestly, it is going to take die-hard folks a while to get "used" to the new look. It just looks like another iteration (size and looks) of the other models. I know some people have mentioned that there will also eventually be a smaller version called the Discovery "INSERT SOMETHING HERE" that falls below the Discovery Sport in size. Based on all this information, it definitely looks as though Land Rover is moving the Discovery family into a more versatile type of Range Rover or something. I think Dan or surfrider said it well, the Defender will probably become what the current LR4 is meant to be as far as more off-road oriented.

Personally, I have no interest in buying the new Discovery and will keep my 2013 LR4 long term (just hit 29,000 miles). Once the new Defender comes out in probably a couple years, then I may consider it if it's actually real and stays true to the heritage.

Nice to see you all again on here (Dan, Umberto!!!); sorry I have been so out of touch but made two huge moves and now waiting to close on a new house. I'll check in more.

-David

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Actually, here is the YouTube video link.

Thanks for the vid Dan. Informative. Given that this was produced by a equalizer hitch vendor I sense a future series of back and forth marketing analysis as air suspension sophistication rises. The one in the vid seemed pretty low end given that you could add and remove air through the fuel door. Fully integrating suspension functionality and safety features with a fully independent multi-point air system takes any testing to a new level. The question left unanswered is how a equalizer hitch performs with feature rich air suspensions. From what I can find is don't pair equalizer systems with fully featured air suspension unless your on the high end of tongue weight, basically exceeding your axle weight. At that point I think you have probably violated other limits and should be reconsidering truck and trailer selections. Then again that doesn't stop people from poor choices - ala 1/2 ton pickup with equalizer hitch and poorly designed heavy camper cruizin down the road in the flyin-V (hitch nearly bouncing off the pavement) config.

As for remote control seating config, pure soccer mom. Just think, your typical soccer mom can prepare in-advance the seating as hoards of unplanned count kids descend on the Discovery!

jaamrode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the vid Dan. Informative. Given that this was produced by a equalizer hitch vendor I sense a future series of back and forth marketing analysis as air suspension sophistication rises. The one in the vid seemed pretty low end given that you could add and remove air through the fuel door. Fully integrating suspension functionality and safety features with a fully independent multi-point air system takes any testing to a new level. The question left unanswered is how a equalizer hitch performs with feature rich air suspensions. From what I can find is don't pair equalizer systems with fully featured air suspension unless your on the high end of tongue weight, basically exceeding your axle weight. At that point I think you have probably violated other limits and should be reconsidering truck and trailer selections. Then again that doesn't stop people from poor choices - ala 1/2 ton pickup with equalizer hitch and poorly designed heavy camper cruizin down the road in the flyin-V (hitch nearly bouncing off the pavement) config.

As for remote control seating config, pure soccer mom. Just think, your typical soccer mom can prepare in-advance the seating as hoards of unplanned count kids descend on the Discovery!

My concern with this video is they are using 1000 lbs tongue weight for a 4000 lb. trailer. Why are they not using the standard 10-15% tongue weight which would be 400-600 lbs. if they wanted to show the effects of a 1000 lb. tongue weight why not use a 10,000 lb. trailer?

SHS14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
goofy electric headrests and seats. Are the roof rails standard?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SHS14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
goofy electric headrests and seats. Are the roof rails standard?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112