LR5 Release Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SHS14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
goofy electric headrests and seats. Are the roof rails standard?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SHS14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
goofy electric headrests and seats. Are the roof rails standard?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stew77

Reaction score
I of course agree that trucks have a wide range of ratings because they have an almost dizzying array of configurations of engines, axles, gears, etc.

As for leveling, it is not the same as weight distribution. I'll see if I can find the YouTube video of a test/demo of this that I saw using both methods. Without the weight distribution physics, all of the weight remains on the rear axle - even if it is now level. With a WD hitch, some portion of the hitch weight will have shifted to both the front axle and the trailer axles. Leveling is actually a side effect of weight distribution. Whereas weight distribution is not a side effect of lifting the rear end to make the to vehicle level. Leveling with air is not bad, but it is not the same thing.

Actually, here is the YouTube video link.

If in fact the new Discovery comes out with 7700 lbs I will be all the more disappointed with JLR. Not changing the number suggests that they have not done the SAE certification. This SAE certification for towing capacity was introduced about three years ago and has been adopted by a number of manufacturers. Here is a good albeit somewhat dated article on this new rating criteria.

http://www.trucktrend.com/news/163-0910-truck-towing-capacity/

Now to be clear, if you are towing a lighter weight trailer (3-4K#, etc.) with an LR4 I can't imagine you need to be concerned about all this stuff. For heavier trailers a safe hitch (meaning one rated to the appropriate tongue weight, etc. - whether you go anti-sway and/or weight distribution is up to you) system is important.

Another note on towing with an LR4 (and any vehicle with a good departure angle which I hope the Discovery will have) is that there is an advantage to having the rear axle closer to the hitch location on the vehicle. This often comes up on trailering forums where many will declare that you shouldn't two heavier trailers with an LR4 (or LC or likely the Discovery) because of the short wheel base. These people typically state that you should use a proper, longer-base, truck with the tow package. They have a point. But the LR4 and LC and presumably the Discovery have the hitch receiver closer to the rear axle so there is a "shorter lever" that might "lift" the front end a bit. That is good for the LR4 provided you are safely within the Gross Axle Weight for the rear axle.

Great post Dan! Agree 100%...Leveling via air suspension and Weight Distribution are indeed completely different things.

I simply will not tow a camper that weighs over 5000 lbs without the use of a Weight Distribution Hitch (I also like to have Anti-Sway as part of a hitch system, and I'm using an "Equalizer Hitch" system with my LR4). I personally have had no issues with the LR4 air suspension system and using a Weight Distribution Hitch...tows as smooth and confidently stable as can be for me. Now, hitching up is sometimes tricky due to the need to "load up" the weight distribution bars, but using the different height settings on the LR4 to raise and lower actually helps makes the process easier than if the vehicle is off. With the vehicle off, the air suspension simply sags with the trailer tongue load and things get a little weird.

And more on the topic of this thread, thanks for all the great links to photos and videos of the upcoming Discovery. The more I see the vehicle, including some of these recent videos showing the vehicle in motion, the more I'm coming around to the styling and design of the new Discovery. I still love the purposeful, unique, and blocky styling of the current LR4 and wish the new one maintained that blocky styling more (and like many others...boy, do I wish they had not abandoned the split tailgate which I really love with the current LR). Will also definitely be interested in what Land Rover brings with the upcoming Defender line.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good points and good to hear from you, @Finlayforprez. FYI, I've been enjoying your IG feed and all the recent photos of your LR4 in New England. Good luck with the house closing.

Thanks so much! I'll check in often and try to keep posting photos/videos. Glad to have you along with me; we may need to support one another when the silly new Discovery is revealed. HAHA!

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ACK! 0:22 into the video...a horror I had not even planned on!!! The middle second row seat no longer folds flat independently on it’s own! The damn thing is attached to the driver's side 2nd row.

It looks like it does the "arm rest fold down" option, but you will not have bed space at the same level as the rear.... maybe some of you don’t understand the significance, but my car always has the two outside seats up (usually with baby seats in them) and the middle one flat. I slide surf boards and cargo in and out of that middle section. The dog crawls back and forth. Trips to the hardware store often don’t even require me to fold anything down. I just slide it in on it’s side. ***...

Did the designers of this thing even use an LR3/LR4?!?
:albertein

worse yet, It appears that you cannot remove the middle seat in the second row like I did with our 15. Bummer of a kid carrier. It is so much easier having the 5 and 7 year old just walk through the now removed middle seat.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the following IG account: https://instagram.com/p/BKURYhbgi6q/

IMG_6260.PNG

namenda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the full youtube video. Definitely a teaser for soccer moms.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If all soccer mom take their car off-road like this then I'm fine with it ;)

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Overall, video and creative stand point, brilliant angle for a launch video.

Now, JLR create one for the off road to appeal to the off-road side of Land Rover and its heritage and overland adventure!

It sure looks large and I must say the third row looks a little smaller in comparison to the current 3/4.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM