Major overheating problems.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rich_98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I'm back with another problem.

First off, I'm now declaring September "Bad Luck Month!" from here on out.

Second off, where the hell is all my coolant going! It started about three weeks ago, while driving though a mountain highway, I noticed my car started to get warm - 3/4ths from the red line. After peaking and coasting down the hill it started to cool down and I thought it was from driving up the hill. Later that night while driving, the line was peaking out on red, I get to a gas station quick and load up on water to make it home.

Unfortunatly, it took about a week to get some real coolant in it - during that week the car went fine - two days ago it started to overheat again. I go to the store pickup some coolant (As recommended by LR Dealership manual - though not "Official" LR Coolant) and put it in. I didn't flush the system and did a 30/70 mix since I plan to be in some cold areas this winter. I didnt flush the system (Since as far as I could tell there was nothing left in there =\ ) and loaded up on coolant. Unfortunatly I put on that damn plastic radiator cap to tight and the plastic cap budged off, so there is a small hole - put some heavy duty tape over it to last till this Friday when my new brass plug comes in.

Anyways - I'm driving home today from school, and bam! Overheating to the max! Pull off pull off resivior cap - NOTHING! Fill up with water, and I make it home without further issue.

My questions are -

1) Where the hell did my coolant go in the first place? It doesn't usually dissapear.

2) Will a minute amount of coolant leaking through the cap - is it possible for me to loose a whole 2 gallons worth of coolant? I've been checking everywhere I park for leaks - but nothing is leaking from under the car as far as I can tell.

3) I've been told coolant may be leaking into the cylendar head or something like that. (I dunno - i'm not a machanic) and that if this is happening I'll need a new cylandar block. Now, I'd be fine with that since I'd put a 6.0 v8 in or something, only I don't make nearly enough to do something that cool ;) Has anyone else heard of anything like this happening to anyone else?

4) What type of solutions should I try - I'm open to anything that hopefully doesn't cost a lot of money! $1000 in the last month - $600 in tires next paycheck, $60 to fill up my tank of gas, Please save me some money lol!!!!

Allright everyone, thanks for the help!

Rich

N

nixxy

Have you checked the waterpump? To make sure, see if you can wiggle the pully on the water pump from side to side (AT ALL). It shouldn't move at all.....if it does (you can also watch it from the side while running. If you get wet while the truck is running, the water pump is sneaking the water out and spraying it on the hood and under the truck.

If the waterpump turns out ok, check the tail pipe to see if there is steam coming out. If so, head gaskets are gone. If both of these are ok, you might have a hose that is going bad.....

IMHO

I speak from experience of changing out 2 waterpumps in the last 2 months.

Andy
work - [email protected]
home - [email protected]

redrover51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to the pharmacy, ask for "sodium Hydroxate", It's liquid glass....make sure your leak isn't from the obvious places....hoses, radiator, w-pump, and poor 2 ozs of this stuff into your radiator while it is warm and running. Close the system and let it work. This stuff will seal any head-gasket leaks, or for that matter, any cracks in the block or heads! When the S.Hydroxate reaches the crack or gasket part that is missing, it turns into a glass-like substance that will seal on contact with the out-side air. The liquid is harmless when circulating in your motor. This is the most inexpensive, and quick way to repair a leak as you have discribed...I have performed this repair on badly cracked heads with great permanent sucess...best of sucess to YOU! let us know if you are willing to try it?....(no procedure is herein recommended by this site, nor is it guaranteed to solve your heating problem..this site is held harmless for any liability arising from the out-come of any procedure or "fix" discribed).....ask around before doing this...you will find that old mechanics have used this method for years.

R

RoverDisco98

Had the same problem last week with my 98 Disco, running hot and no signs of a leak. Turned out to be a faulty thermostat and small leak through the thermostat housing. As the leak was right onto the block the coolant evaporated before it could drip down off the engine. Take the truck to you LR dealer and ask them to do a pressure check on the coolant system.

D

discomike

Rich,
You don't want to guess on this one, your truck won't take to too many over heatings before you fry it. Go to a shop and have them pressure test the coolant system and if necessary do a head gasket test.
You may be luckey and find a leak, but you do need to find it ASAP.
Mike J.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Rich I am sorry to hear about this. It sucks. I have no better words to describe it. I am a firm believer that "our" trucks can tell when we are students. Justin, you, and I (all of whom are students in one form or fashion - Law, photographers, ect) all have problems with our Disco's. Very disparaging to say the least. Good luck. I have a feeling it is just your thermostat. Which is certainly an easy fix..15.00 and your back on the road again! Now where the coolant is going..Hmm?? Lets hope its just a bad hose! Have you thrown a CEL yet? Melissa N

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Melissa, look on this in other way - when i was student - i been working all the time doing lots contract jobs - and i wouldnt even dream to own Disco :) Heck i wouldnt dream to own any car back then.

Richard - do a pressure test, and also you can try hack that Joseph suggested :) Most likely its one of squibbly stupid gaskets leaking somewhere.

Another possible thing - check on passenger side frame after you topped coolant again. Those expansion tanks are prone to develop cracks along the seam and you cant really find it unless you either listen closely (it will whistle a tad if truck is running at operating temp) or you can detect wet spots on passenger side of frame.

Rich_98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found a MAJOR leak (50% of the fluid gone in 50 seconds)

It looks like it's coming from this busted line.. But I'm not 100% sure - Can someone confirm this is a Coolant line? And that all my cooland is coming from here?

Thanks!

Attachments

• brokenline.jpg
    brokenline.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:

Rich_98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI, this is on the drivers side of the engine, going into the engine. Also, some of the cheap plastic screw they gave me (Which the cap popped off. I received my brass one from EE today ;) ) fell into the radaitor. How worried do i need to be about that?

Last edited:

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Rich, How many miles again? I cant tell from that picture. Its too large..Can you make it smaller please ? You said Bank A of the engine ..Where exactly on the engine.....? That wire looks corroded like it has come in contact with battery acid maybe?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM