NAV8 vs SCV6 Comparison

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it happens. VW dropped their big V10 diesel in their Toureg 2 to a V6 diesel in 2009. Then they dropped their V8 altogether in the Toureg in 2010.

The Passat lost the larger W8 engine as well at one point.

I am sure there are others.

16WhiteLR4

Reaction score
Its taking me alot of getting used to having t0 mash the pedal to get any power from the 6, I owned a 2010 camaro ss and feathered it, im getting the hang of it now though.

Forty Deuce

Reaction score
This is an interesting thread. When I started looking for a LR4 I began by searching for a used one. After some research and advice from some people with more experience than I, I decided to limit my selections to a CPO model from a dealership. When I went into a few dealerships (There are six within 80 miles of me.) I was told up front that the 2013's in particular were holding their value and there was a bit of a waiting list for the CPO's as they came in. The salesman added that a 2013 with the HD package was a hot commodity. After some other changes in life I eventually opted to simply buy a new one.

One of the factors was reading online forums, talking to owners, and of course test driving the V8 and V6. Perhaps I'm not as experienced in the LR4 platform as others enough to recognize the difference but it seemed to me that the difference was minuscule and despite my original focus on obtaining a V8, I found an appreciation for the SCV6 and opted to go that route in exchange for the color and options of my own choosing. For the price on the 2013 vs a 2016 it wasn't that much more of a leap to get what I wanted.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its taking me alot of getting used to having t0 mash the pedal to get any power from the 6, I owned a 2010 camaro ss and feathered it, im getting the hang of it now though.

Did the Camaro weigh 2 tons and have a wading depth of over 2 ft? :biggrin:

J/K, enjoy your new Landy and welcome aboard!

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are some things in life that are inevitable. Death, taxes and the ongoing discussion of SCV6 vs NAV8. :big grin:

BTW, I have the SCV6. Tows my 24', 6200 lbs (loaded) travel trailer up and over 11,000' mountain passes in Colorado and gets me everywhere I want to go with more than enough power. But I am a "relaxed" driver. :smile:

To me, the HD package was more important as I do take it mildly offroad from time to time and having low range is great for climbing, descending steep roads with engine braking and general more control when rock crawling.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's mentioned all over the place: The SCV6 is a fine motor. It's just that the V8 is a bit better and smoother. That's all. What kicked off the discussion was the claim by LR that there it was the same level of performance (not really true) with a decent economy improvement (also not really true).

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's mentioned all over the place: The SCV6 is a fine motor. It's just that the V8 is a bit better and smoother. That's all. What kicked off the discussion was the claim by LR that there it was the same level of performance (not really true) with a decent economy improvement (also not really true).

</thread>

mko9

Reaction score
What would be interesting to see, and is notably absent, is any kind of comparison dyno plot so you could see the difference in the HP and torque curves.

neezer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just picked up my 2016 yesterday, so I'm still babying it of course, but honestly, I've driven it now for 75 miles this weekend in total, all the while with the wife and 2 to 3 kids on board, and I actually totally forgot that the engine was force-induced; it felt totally unstrained and un-boosted. They did a damn good job I say. And the sound when it starts up and while on the run, honestly, to my ears, is not at all so different from the outgoing V8. It really isn't. FYI I owned a 2011 RRS in the past, so I have personal memory and experience. Some cars you can just tell it's a small displacement V6, not this one for some reason.

Yes, I know, in the upper half of the rev range, the 5L V8 definitely would pull harder, but really what is the point/hurry most of the time in a 5600+ car?!

I'll take the 15/19 any day over the 12/17! Yes, I know, the excellent ZF 8-speed is partly to thank for that too.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
. And the sound when it starts up and while on the run, honestly, to my ears, is not at all so different from the outgoing V8. It really isn't...

Now I know you are talking crazy! :stupid:

I have had the SCV6 as a loaner and that was the first thing that stood out was the sound was entirely different. (Completely expected from a big 5.0L NA V8 to a 3.0L SCV6

:biggrin:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72