New LR4 with HD Package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
..... If HD sells better, LR would have made all their LR4 equipped with HD packages. It is not that much more expensive. .....

A few thoughts:

- You would be surprised at how manufactures shave cost to increase margins. The HD package was a significant item on the BOM and it also increased vehicle weight which feeds into the CAFE rating.

- Agreed that many LR customers don't need HD so in consideration of higher manufacturing cost and the need to increase margins, slowly begin to reduce the mix of HD in the overall production.

- The LR4 was coming to the end of its production run so all parts need to be carefully managed such that, ideally, when the final one rolls off the line inventory is near zero. I would think the LR4 HD components would not work on the LR5.

- The LR5 is further down the "sport" path and likely will need even fewer HD "utility". It is beginning to look like your soccer mom van with AWD. Marketing will position traction control as "good as HD" but many will never use it and therefore not push back on that false position. CAFE requirements are increasing so save every pound of weight.

- Land Rover design director Gerry McGovern is watering down the brand and will be gone in a few years. His model is the Evoque. That was a fashion statement, not a vehicle in the spirit of LR. I've driven an Evoque and think it is a cramped low end vehicle. LR did need modernizing and sales have increased as more models are available but they have sacrificed much of their heritage. Will the Defender recover that heritage? TBD

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
- Land Rover design director Gerry McGovern is watering down the brand and will be gone in a few years. His model is the Evoque. That was a fashion statement, not a vehicle in the spirit of LR. I've driven an Evoque and think it is a cramped low end vehicle. LR did need modernizing and sales have increased as more models are available but they have sacrificed much of their heritage. Will the Defender recover that heritage? TBD

Couldn't have said it better myself.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The people who are buying the LR4 right now when the Discovery 5 is just around the corner are probably a lot of the same people who care about the HD package.

Or...IMO...The people who are buying the LR4 right now when the Discovery 5 is just around the corner probably realize that the D5 looks like a rebranded Ford Explorer.
maxresdefault.jpg

Frank8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still wish I had the HD on my 2016 LR4 but we finally had some decent snow in the past few days and for the first time I had the opportunity to go off-road in about 10 inches of snow. No problem at all and I feel more sanguine about the whole thing.

Glad I got an LR4. I agree the new Discovery isn't quite "Land Rover-ish". Too bad.

Frank

DaJammer

Reaction score
That's great to hear. I'm heading to the snow this weekend (Big Bear Lake, CA) and from what I'm hearing, more is in the forecast. Can't wait to get mine in the snow!

crash1121

Full Access Member
Reaction score

a03c0c413bb5db01d8beb5fe88a06bb9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LLLR4

Reaction score
That's great to hear. I'm heading to the snow this weekend (Big Bear Lake, CA) and from what I'm hearing, more is in the forecast. Can't wait to get mine in the snow!
You'll be OK in snow without HD. You will not likely need low range or locking rear diff in snow. The only thing I really wish they had made standard is the full size spare.

If you do have two-speed transfer case, you will need to use it from time to time to exercise it a little to keep the components lubricated. Since the LR4 is my wife's car, I would be very hesitant to ask her to put it on 4L to exercise because I know she could very likely leave in on 4L and drive on a highway.

LLLR4

Reaction score
Or...IMO...The people who are buying the LR4 right now when the Discovery 5 is just around the corner probably realize that the D5 looks like a rebranded Ford Explorer. View attachment 6921
We looked at the spy photos of Disco 5 and decided to go with LR4. It's a pity that LR would want to adapt the same design that has already been used on another product. That guy has run out of ideas.

LLLR4

Reaction score
Took our Tacoma TRD Off Road for wheeling this post weekend. Very rocky trail in a dense woods. Inevitably, we got a few minor scratches on the body from the tree branches, and on the alloy wheels and running board from sharp rocks. At that time, both my wife and I said fortunately we didn't get an HD package on our LR4, or we would have taken her here and scratched her all over.

Even if you have the HD package, better change out the wheels and tires, and remove the running board before testing out its off road capability. She was not built for that from the factory.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112