new, q about off road speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M

M3orLR3

i understand that the LR3 has a dial to indicate off road conditions.

my question is how fast can you go in each position. for example, if i am in packed sand, like a dried river bed, with the occasional rock that needs straddling, what setting would i use? and how high will the LR3 ride? can i be doing 30 or 40 miles an hour and still have maximum ground clearance?

another quesiton is about changing settings. if you are on a trail and come up to a section that requires a little rock crawling, do you turn the dial and then turn it back 15 seconds later, or is it not really made for that...?

maybe my questions can be summed up better this way: how much ground clerance, and what is the maximum speed, for each suspension setting?

P

PCH

Minimum ground clearance in off-road height is 240mm. If the computer senses the vehicle is grounded the extended mode engages to try to lift the vehicle off what is is grounded on.

Max speed allowable when in off-road height is 40kph before you get chimes and messages to slow down.

The Terrain Response (TR) does not affect the max speed limit for the off-road height - it is 40kph.

You can change the TR setting at any time but it takes a few seconds to change the mode. Of course if you want Rock Crawl you can select it then turn it back to to another setting after you have crossed bolders or rocky terrain.

The TR knob is not just suspension height settings but changes operation of throttle response, gear selection, center diff lock and rear diff lock (if fitted).

Chris

N

NHESS81

uhm, these are not Baja 500 rigs....you dont off road race, you off road crawl...rarely would you ever see over 10-15mph if you are driving off road...drive as fast as necessary, but as slow as possible...

A

AZSTALZ

Unfortunately, for those of us who travel long distances on hard-packed and rutted dirt roads, the 'automatic' lowering of the vehicle from 'off-road-height' @ 32MPH is very annoying. Somebody definitely needs to find a "hack" for said problem like they did for the NAV entry while in motion hack!

M

M3orLR3

goo to know other members have thought about this--i didn't want to be the newbie that everyone rolls their eyes at (at least on my first post).

NHESS81, i agree with you, but a lot of CA desert is hard packed, like maybe dry river bed, and though not a race, it isn't unheard of to be clipping along at 25 or 30 miles an hour. obviously i don;t mean when rock crawling or anything extreme. i just want to know that i can go lifted whenever i wnat, and not just in low range or something...

N

NHESS81

Right, misunderstood your first post, I didnt know that the LR3 automatically lowered at 'high' speed...thats a pretty stupid feature...gotta love electronics, right? Just give me gears and a lever, my brain will always outsmart an ECU....

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the truck is lowered for several reasons, but the primary one is probably to preserve the integrity of the CV joints. If they develop vibration when articulated beyond a certain angle (when lifted for example), they have the potential to destroy themselves. Keeping the speeds down prevents this from happening...or so the theory goes anyway.

H

Houm_WA

NHESS81...why is that a stupid feature? If you are travelling at that speed, the truck can safely assume that it is not bumpy, so why not lower the CG and decrease the lift on the body a little?

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have air suspension so I don't know if this is correct, but isn't the ride at full height significantly firmer than at normal mode? I know when I was recently wheeling with a guy with a Air LR3. When I was in the lead, he asked me to slow down on a rough trail because he was getting jounced around too much. My coils were fine and smooth, so I had no idea until he came over the radio asking to slow up

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9