New to LR

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brbanks1

Reaction score
fuel mileage

Ive been reading a lot about the LR3's fuel mileage and also the post from other users. I have read that some get a wopping 8mpg and some get an "astounding" 20mpg, which I would like to achieve being that I will soon be an LR3 owner. I would like to hear from some experience owners to see what they get out of there rigs!!! and what range they normally see?

Thanks

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been all over the map with fuel mileage, but it seems that I'm sticking right around 13-14MPG, though this is mostly due to a fair bit of city driving on my wife's part (and winter). I was able to hit 20MPG for about a half hour on the higway (light family load), doing a bit over 60MPH, running on winter tires, albeit with temperatures in the low 50s. My usual highway speed is between 85-90MPH (under good weather conditions) which kicks me back down to 13-15MPG (depending on grades/wind/etc) - the LR3 is obviously not very aerodynamic.

I wish the fuel economy was better, but it's a great vehicle, and I'm happy to live with the current consumption; if I really want to eake out a few more MPG, I just ease of the throttle, and try to miss the red lights...

brbanks1

Reaction score
Why all of the complaints

As far as buying used goes, what are some of the decisions you guys made?? Ive been looking at an 06 HSE but wanting to find and 07. Also honest opinions about your LR. Im am always seeing and reading about whats going wrong. Whats going right when has the LR saved your butt. Or just made your day a little more enjoyable? I think these things must out weigh all of the negatives.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you aren't going offroad, don't buy an LR3. That's my advice. ...and '07s seem to be a good choice. '05s and '06s are performing pretty well once they've had all their service visits done, but buying used would be a crapshoot unless the owner/dealer has all the service records.

brbanks1

Reaction score
I do plan to off road the vehicle some I will attend all of the dealer trips as well as playing around on my owen ocassionally, mostly will be used to pull my dirt bike, Another key reason in buying the vehicle is that I am moving to Des Moines, Iowa and the winter weather is very severe. I like the spaciousness and the capability to tackle any thing. We will be using it for ski trips to Denver as well, and as my everyday driver. my daily commute will be no more than 20 miles.. any more veteran !!advice!!

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
brbanks - we're seldom really off road (a couple of times a year at most right now - would like to do more, but it's just of those things), though we are more frequently on sand, dirt ruts, bad roads, etc.

Some great "vehicle" features for everyday use:

1) Bad weather capability - unstopple in the snow (we travel a fair bit in the winter, and it's nice not having to worry so much about the weather).

2) Size - it's ranked as a midsize vehicle for good reason (ie, shorter then a new Honda Accord!), so it's easy to use 'round town. My wife has no trouble parking it, and she drive's a Mini Cooper "S" normally in the summer

3) Size - given fairly conservative outside "size", it's got a pretty roomy interior. We regulary carry 6 people around (two in the third row) and everyone comments on the space - the triple sunroof and large windows help create this feeling.

We did wind up with a used '06 SE7 (most options) with roughly 30k miles when we picked it up for just over 20k USD on the road. I wanted an '07, but at the time couldn't justify the extra 8k or so on the road.

Just my $0.02

GTC

racehorse

Reaction score
With due respect, I think it's oversimplistic to reason that if you're not going off road, don't buy an LR3. I think the intention is well meant, but oversimplistic. It's akin to saying, 'If you aren't going to club race your Porsche 911 or Cayman, buy a Mercedes or sports sedan.'

Having been a 911 owner, you buy the car because of its history, integrity, engineering and capability -- READ, even if you aren't going to take it into an SCCA sanctioned autocross or race.

That's the same pure -- and honest -- reason you buy a Land Rover. The history, the capability, the integrity and engineering. Having the goods even if it's something you're not going to use on a daily basis.

It's great to have the capability when you go skiing, etc.

If you're looking for a capable people mover that gets great mileage, the land rover is probably over the top. Get a minivan or durango or insert SUV here if you just want a people mover that gets good gas mileage.

Just my 02.

brbanks1

Reaction score
As I am a Mechanical Engineer, I can truly respect all of the systems that the LR3 has to offer... I think I have made up my mind, and will be purchasing one in mid July!! I still would like to hear other users .02, as well as where has the LR3 impacted you most.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only impact the LR3 has made in my life is that I never thought I would LOVE a vechicle this much. It dose everything I ask it easly and leaves me with a constant smile.
If I had to chose between the LR3 and my Harley? Well Don't put me in that position I'll just have to **** you!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo