NW Challenge Trip Report!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. I am going to definitely buy a replacement spare and a punch to put in my tag-along tool kit for the trail. I also have a sample pack coming my way from a fastener supplier...of a 12.9 partial thread socket-head cap screw. I suppose they will go into the spares box as well for now.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: got one of the factory bolts from the dealership. BIG SOB! There is lock-tite already on the threads....I didn't realize that. So I was talking with the parts guys and one tech while I was there. They informed me that anytime this bolt is removed (like maybe to change a bushing in the control arm or something?) it needs to be replaced. It's intended to be a disposable bolt. Once tightened and then removed, it's not supposed to be re-used.

I'd say that plays into our discussion....

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will be taking note of that. I wonder how many of these failures we will start to see as the rear bushings get replaced?? I seriously doubt many of hte indy's know this. Not sure it has to come out for it but it certainly would make it easier...

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tech I spoke with said that it does come out for the bushing replacement. I was thinking the same thoughts on indy shops. BFH said his looked like it had been tightened and loosened a few times...it was rounded (the head).

I imagine this is a big factor.

Trynian

Reaction score
For what it is worth, in the repair manual from LR. Almost anytime a bolt is taken out to do a repair the manual repair steps state to replace the bolt with a new one.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm.....well with this bolt it seems like it might be a non-trivial step.

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just picked up my passenger side bolt and Lo and Behold, it's different. The OLD part number is RYG500073. The NEW part number is RYG501580. It's longer by the length of the un-threaded tip and lacks threading the entire length. Answers that argument. I'll try to install them tonight now that's it's no longer triple digits outside.

RearLowerControlArmBolt012.jpg

RearLowerControlArmBolt014.jpg

RearLowerControlArmBolt013.jpg

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or do the materials look different? The new one just looks more "glossy." Is one plated and the other not?

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They both seem to have some sort of EG coating and both are 10.9's. I'd assume the same material composition. But, now I can give the GF the old Burt Reynolds look and say "Have I got a shiny bolt for you!".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo