NW Challenge Trip Report!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone that is willing get under their rig and check this bolt for me? I just want to know if it is loose.

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. I replaced my bolts today. Both looked fine but seemed to be on the short side of torque specs. I chose to wire brush off the factory supplied Loctite (blue) since it was just a smear on one side only. I used the Loctite Gel and applied evenly to the first 4 or 5 threads. My torque wrench only goes to 75 ftlb so I just gave it the gorilla arm on a long 1/2" drive wrench. I KNOW it's tighter than what I replaced. I also did another procedure since I was already in work mode...

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet...I tried to get the bolts at my local dealer today but they had to order them. :argh: They are suppose to be here in a week.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked mine with my hand the other day. It was tight. I know that's not an adequate check, but that's all I have time for right now.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So...I have found a 12.9 Grade bolt that will work. Only problem, I'd have to special order it and it only comes in a 50 pc count package. $315 (plus shipping and tax, I'd assume). Any chance enough people here want to do a group buy? I actually think that if we each needed about 4 (2 on the rig, 2 spares) it would only take about 12 of us....and it would be about $30 each (for 4 bolts per person).

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced both of mine with the "new" style factory bolt. The bolt is different so I am going to give it a chance before I change it to a 12.9. According to the factory service data it can be reused 5 times and to check for punch marks on the head as an indicator of the # of uses...

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really? You saw that written in print somewhere (about the punchmarks)? That's remarkable...seems like such a detail.

I'm going to see if I can get a "sample" of the 12.9. I'll probably replace my bolts with factory ones next time I switch wheels for off-roading. Or I may not at all...they look pretty good and tight in there right now, and I figure I have a spare, but....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo