Octane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sydeem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Earlier read something on regular vs premium gas. Can't find the discussion now but I thought one only needed to use an octain level that didn't "ping." All sorts of arguments both ways. I have been using regular in both my D2 and RRC since prices went out of sight. Someone said warranty would be voided if regular used. How would dealer know if I had used regular gas instead of premium?

What might go wrong using regular?

Suppose I fill with premium before taking it in?

Last edited:
D

discomike

The main problem with using regular all the time in a Rover is the carbon build up problem, and it is bad on regular. Yes I have used it when I just had to with no short term problems, but it is the longer term ones that concern me.
No the dealer can't void your warranty, he might suggest you not use it. Foe the loss of power and MPG, I still think you should stay with the good stuff as much as you can.
Mike J.

sydeem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mike - where is the cabon build up? injectors? valves?

Can one use an occasional additive to clean up the problems?

I note that the dealer uses an additive at 30,000 miles.

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR recommends that you add their fuel stabilizer every 15k miles, I think, so yeah, it will help keep things nice and clean in there. Trick is to get it clean in the first place.

D

discomike

Carbon build up starts up at the valves, taking away compresson, power and causing rough running.
Mike J.

sydeem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks again Mike - I wonder if the various gasoline manufactures might have as much effect on cabon build up as octain has. They all profess to have different additives in their mix - ie. Techron? Is there a better gas for the LR species.

D

discomike

No even the better top grades can't do what these additives will do.
Mike J.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also remember that lots of those additives got pending lawsuits on false advertisement. STP, Marvel, Shell, Valvoline are amongst them. I cant remember link to full list right away :(

B&G, 3M, Seafoam, Lucas, Techron are about only ones that arent on list of being snake oil.

A

ayavner

Sergei, thats good to know. I would like to see that list if you do find it. I have always wondered about some of that stuff

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cant find link - i seen good page with full list like month ago, but i totally eludes me right now.
Only thing i manages is to just go and search on ftc.gov and even there (I mean FTC is like last possible resort of that kind of information) http://search.ftc.gov/query.html?qt=fuel+additive&col=hsr&col=news&col=full
You can see cases against zMax, Duralube, Shell, Castrol & etc.

I'll try to find better list. But this one is kind of enough to freak one out, on how brainwashing goes about all those cool petrol additives

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM