oil pressure problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robairx

Reaction score
99 Disco sd The oil light comes on after the engine has warmed up and above 2k rpm at idle light is out Just replaced engine with one from junkyard Old engine died from Oil failure main bearings failed Read something about sludge What is the proper procedure to flush engine Please Help

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Drop the oil pan and clean your oil pick up screen... before you end up buying another engine.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, stop driving the truck till you can have someone do a series of oil pressure tests to verify if you have a pressure problem or just a bad oil pressure sending unit.
Have your truck, left over night at a shop so they can do a cold start pressure test both at idle and at 2000 RPM's then again when at operating temp. at idle and 2000 RPM's. Let us know what they find.

robairx

Reaction score
Going to be doing both request this weekend Is there anything else I should be looking for
Thanks for all you help

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beware aboiut aggressive engine flush w/atf

You might open a can of worms as I did.

If you're mechanical, I'd agree w/joey, if not, My best luck, (after cleaning out my pan) was with a product called CDR $3/can @ parts store- no more lifter noise after 50-100 miles
and you drive with it.

Oil pressure immediately on startup (used to take 3-4 seconds)
This is assuming you don't/can't cough up money @ the shop

change your oil & filter -(per disco mike I'm using the k&n larger oil filter,(1000 I think) love it

luck, greg

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
K&N filter is a 3001, the Mobil 1 is a 301.

So why be aware of ATF flushes, something that has been going on for over 20 years? Is this based on hear say or actual 1st. hand experience??

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the first thing to go is the memory -- somebody said

luck,greg

robairx

Reaction score
results of testing

First I did a motor flush. Then drained oil, Remover drainpan cleaned pan There did not seem to be much sludge. Removed pickup tube and cleaned replace tube and pan. Changed filter with a K and N filled with 5 quarts of Castrol Syntec. Oil pressure at cold idle is 12 at 2k rpm about 10, returns to 12 at idle after about 6 min temp normal Presssure at idle was about 9 at 2k rpm fell to 7. What do you think This was basically the problem I had with ny original motoer never checked the pressure but light came on at higher rpm changed oil pump went about a hundred miles oil light came on and engine began to knock I have a 30 day warrenty on the motor but perfer to fix it The only part of the oil loop that was not replaced was the oil cooler could this be a source of my problem

again thanks for all you help

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geez mike, I hope your kidding as that seems very out of character for you.

I'll not participate in a ******* contest with someone who vents like that unprovoked.

If you need my creds, PM me.

luck,greg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM