oil pressure problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Robairx, did you reuse your old oil pump ass'y on the new motor? (I had to ask)

The only instances I'm aware of oil pressure loss @ higher rpm are foaming (not likely with such a deep pan) or pickup tube sucking air (sealed @ connection?)

Do you have the RAVE cd? - I think it has oil pump specs (clearances, pressure relief valve spring length)

luck,greg

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geez mike, I hope your kidding as that seems very out of character for you.

I'll not participate in a ******* contest with someone who vents like that unprovoked.

If you need my creds, PM me.

luck,greg

Sorry about that reply, I read and took your reply completely wrong. If I could delete it but I don't see we have that option on this site.
Again, Sorry.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I am curious, how did the oil pressure issue turn out, I hope he is still not driving with the light on.

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry about that reply, I read and took your reply completely wrong. If I could delete it but I don't see we have that option on this site.
Again, Sorry.

It's ok I'm thick skinned - btw, I've worked as a paid mech since 1965 - GM certs, Mercedes diesel,commercial, A/C, trans electrical, etc.

b/prod corvette, motocross, streetbikes

My "the mind is the first thing to go" comment was regarding calling the K&n oil filter a #1000, which you corrected.

but i'm still learning

luck,greg

robairx

Reaction score
still having oil pressure

First I did a motor flush. Then drained oil, Remover drainpan cleaned pan There did not seem to be much sludge. Removed pickup tube and cleaned replace tube and pan. Changed filter with a K and N filled with 5 quarts of Castrol Syntec. Oil pressure at cold idle is 12 at 2k rpm about 10, returns to 12 at idle after about 6 min temp normal Presssure at idle was about 9 at 2k rpm fell to 7. What do you think This was basically the problem I had with ny original motoer never checked the pressure but light came on at higher rpm changed oil pump went about a hundred miles oil light came on and engine began to knock I have a 30 day warrenty on the motor but perfer to fix it The only part of the oil loop that was not replaced was the oil cooler could this be a source of my problem

again thanks for all you help

The oil pump came with the "new" motor . I have thought about changing oil pumps The pump on the old motor has less than 1000 miles on it

robairx

Reaction score
So, I am curious, how did the oil pressure issue turn out, I hope he is still not driving with the light on.
Mike No i am not driving the disco Luckily I This is my third car I love driving it but dont have to Since installing the "new motor" it has only been moved to get access to my garage please see my eailer post for results of the pressure test

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the old motor wiped out the main brgs?
If so, by the time they installed the new pump, it was too late, my guess.

SAVE THE old pump - they're gold.

My D1, also was my "toy" until I sold my RR.
Now I drive it daily & love it but I don't know why.

My rave cd gives specs for clearances on oil pump rotors as will as spring length for the
for the pressure relif valve - all simple stuff given what you've already done. (relief valve sticking open would lower oil press)

I'd pull the pump off the old motor, go through it and put in on the new one.

You really should download the cd - the mechanical sections are great if you dig in.

I also think the oil runs thru the cooler b/4 the engine, check to mke sure it's clean.
(if plugged, it might contribute to your symptoms?)

I don't normally endorse products, but after a dozen (some regrettable) remedy tries,
I threw a can of CD-2 oil treatment in mine and got outstanding results.
They state to drive it normally & sure enough, I get instant pressure on start up (used to take 3-4 seconds)

This is after I cleaned my pan & pickup, new timing set, etc.
luck greg

@ $3/can you might try it

Lastly, I certainly would NOT drive around in it until you think it's resolved

luck,greg

Last edited:

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First I did a motor flush. Then drained oil, Remover drainpan cleaned pan There did not seem to be much sludge. Removed pickup tube and cleaned replace tube and pan. Changed filter with a K and N filled with 5 quarts of Castrol Syntec. Oil pressure at cold idle is 12 at 2k rpm about 10, returns to 12 at idle after about 6 min temp normal Presssure at idle was about 9 at 2k rpm fell to 7. What do you think This was basically the problem I had with ny original motoer never checked the pressure but light came on at higher rpm changed oil pump went about a hundred miles oil light came on and engine began to knock I have a 30 day warrenty on the motor but perfer to fix it The only part of the oil loop that was not replaced was the oil cooler could this be a source of my problem

again thanks for all you help

Your oil pressure is way too low, I would say stop driving it cause your pump is failing.
Pressure warm should be around 20 at idle and above 45 at 2000 RPM's.

robairx

Reaction score
GOOD NEWS
I went to a hose shop and had them build me a bypass for the Oil Cooler installed it and now Oil Pressure is 35 at cold idle and 30 at warm idle Pressure increases up to about 45 at 2k rpm, Now the question I have is *** important is the Oil Cooler The Disco is mainly an used on the road and the offroading I due is Jeep trails over faily Flat ground The Only time I have used compound low was to pull someone else who had gotten stuck. Should I replace the radiator or purchacse an after market oil cooler or just leave the bypass hose in place
I did try and blow compressed air through the Oil Cooler and while a litte air gets through I am sure there is something clogging it

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would consider either a radiator replacement or aftermarket cooler... either one will work

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM