Oil sump prime

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ares

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave, I just talked with another Disco owner in our club that said nearly the same thing. His was some gunk on the pickup screen. Since "Molly" has almost 80k, it might be a good idea to drop the pan anyway and clean things up. I'll order a gasket and report back soon. Thanks friends for all you time, advice, and help. It is greatly appreciated.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got cork gasket from britishpacific.com - paid like 8$. However getting gasket there is sort of painfull... :)

Ares

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went this morning to Advance Auto and picked up a K$N 3001 filter and it has improved the start up tremendously! There is still a few seconds of delay, so Im gonna drop the pan anyway, clean things up, and check pickup. I got a gasket on order from Nathan at Discount Rovers. Also got a couple LR filters too.

Ares

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just thought I would post an update. I finally was able to crawl under the truck and drop the oil pan. Its raining, and I live in an apartment complex, so no cover from the elements. Talk about a PITA. I sure miss my garage. At least its not snowing yet. Anyway, I got the pan down and immediately saw the problem. The oil pick up was very loose. I was able to remove the two bolts that held the pickup by hand. The pickup screen is 90% clogged up with coagulated oil. I am fairly certain that this is the culprit and plan on cleaning the pan and ordering a new pickup. I cant find the o-ring that seals the pickup to the block and the pickup is so filthy, I think I may be ahead in the long run just ordering a new assembly. Although I cant drive Molly until I get a new pickup in, I feel quite relieved that I found the problem and can fix it. If this had failed the next step wouldve been a new timing chain cover, which contains the oil pump. $700 for these would definitely hurt. Well, Dave Lucas, you nailed it dead on. Once I get everything buttoned back up and tested, I will post my, hopefully, final results. Everyone has been very helpful! Thanks again to everyone. Its help like this that keeps me from getting buying a Jeep.

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oil pickup pipe loose

Ares, the loose oil pickup was the last thing to on my mind to trouble shoot.
Every motor that i've built including the 4.6 in the D1 the bolts all use safety wire. As a A&P mechanic this is a must do thing. Too bad a bunch of engines didn't have oil failures so Rover can replace short blocks on a recall. Dry starts are like strokes, the damage mounts. Bearings, cam and lifters, wonder why the cam and lifters are shot at 60,000? How long do you run dry after a oil change, how many seconds vs day to day cold starts. Had to shout, sorry.
Carl....................................................................o&o>.....................

Ares

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Carl, I couldnt agree more! You wouldnt happen to remember if there is a O-ring between the block and pickup tube on these 98 4.0s?

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oil pickup gasket

Ares, that would be a flat gasket between the pickup and block.....o&o>......

Ares

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry all, I forgot to post my results. When I pulled the old pickup off, there was no gasket whatsoever. No was there any lock washers or anything else. I have built many engines and I have always used lock washers along with loctite on the bolts holding the oil pump to the block. Not to mention tack weld the pickup. I ordered a new pickup and it came with a gasket. I got two new bolts and lock washers. Put it on the right way and I feel that I have cured the problem. I talked to Nathan at Discount Rovers and his customers with the same problem finding the problem to be this some of the time or for the most of the time its a crapped out oil pump in which they order a new front cover.

But, it was a bit disturbing to drop the oil pan and be able to wiggle the pickup and remove the bolts by hand. I hope they were more careful with the rod and main bolts. Maybe I shouldve check those too. Nope, too scared to open another can of worms.

Thanks all for your help.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM