On the subject of warranties

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spizzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very helpful - thanks! :)

I only have 1,500 miles on my LR4, but since I plan to keep it for several years (likely past the warranty), so I will certainly be looking into aftermarket or LR warranties. Do you need to buy the warranty before the 50,000 mile mark? I think I remember that requirement?

-David

David - I plan on doing the same. Now that I actually have my LR4, I have been referred to the Costco Warranty (protection) program that I heard is a solid product. After speaking with a Rep and working through a cost study on a few coverage scenarios, it "appears" the best route to take is to purchase the 7 year / 100,000 mile warranty (maximum the coverage goes for an LR4) now while the vehicle has less than 5,000 miles and only a few months old.

Let me know if you would like more info about the scenarios I ran.

-A

GBRover

Reaction score
I am still debating whether to go for a 3yr/85K warranty for about $3900!!!! Help me think this through. I have never purchased extended warranties before, but think that it might be a good "insurance" policy? Or should I just put the money aside myself?

Hope someone who has acutal experience can weigh in on this.

Thanks for all of your advice.

spizzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GBRover, any chance you can put your rig's details in your signature? What year and how many miles on the rig? Also, I dumped ~$9K in my Range Rover in the last 2.5 years of ownership (out of warranty)...so from experience I definitely think an extended warranty is worth $3900 for another 3 years but would like to know how many miles are on your vehicle now.

spizzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you get a warranty to cover the vehicle up to Year 2018 (after your manufacturer's warranty expires in 2015)? Assuming you continue to put miles on the vehicle at a rate of 15k per year for 2 more years (the 2015 mark), then you'll already be at ~76k miles. This leaves you with only 9,000 miles to play with in the extended warranty coverage from 2015 - 2018. Not a comfortable margin. Of course you have to be comfortable and make your own decision but I would try and look at other extended warranty packages.

GermanRoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, I dumped ~$9K in my Range Rover in the last 2.5 years of ownership

Do you mind sharing what the big ticket items were? I've heard from my dealer that it's typically the air bags at $2500 per wheel...but I've never looked into it to validate that. He said they are known to go out between 60k and 70k miles. I'm completely ignorant on this stuff...would appreciate some expert insight. Thanks!

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I (2010 LR4 41K) was quoted $4500 for a Plat. package for 3 years that is very close to a new vehicle bumper to bumper warranty. Guy had me on the phone for 20 minutes trying to seal the deal. I told him i am going to go for it AFTER i look over the contract which i will only focus on what is NOT covered. When my warranty expires in 2014. :)

http://www.landroverautowarranty.com/our-landrover-coverage-plans/

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David - I plan on doing the same. Now that I actually have my LR4, I have been referred to the Costco Warranty (protection) program that I heard is a solid product. After speaking with a Rep and working through a cost study on a few coverage scenarios, it "appears" the best route to take is to purchase the 7 year / 100,000 mile warranty (maximum the coverage goes for an LR4) now while the vehicle has less than 5,000 miles and only a few months old.

Let me know if you would like more info about the scenarios I ran.

-A
My apologies for just getting back to you....

Yes, I would love to know more details about the plans. If there is a good plan to secure within the first 5,000 miles I may consider it as well.

I think the plan they tried to sell me when I bought my LR4 in June was through CNA National. I declined it, but the paperwork said 7 years/100,000 miles. There are various packages available.

-David

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Considering the low miles I plan on putting on my LR4, I may well just self insure. I'd be shocked if I even put 10k miles year. By the time I hit 7 years I may well have only 60k miles.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM