Plastidip and off roadin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know some of you guys are using Plastidip.
I'm wondering how it fairs when taken off road. I'm think of doing it for both ascetics, and paying protection.
Both the wheels (flat black) and the body (either black and blue, flex blue, or navy blue).
I'm just looking for some input on durability.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is durable but attracts/collects mud. To the point that you can't wash it off, you need to remove the plasti-dip. Would work well as a sacrificial layer.

i just bought a couple rolls of 3M paint film and have started to apply it to the roof glass, and will do my doors as well.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me know how it works out on the doors, i'd imagine with the white it will not be all that noticeable but with my black more so.
Although, i'd much rather have a haze to the paint, than scratches.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PlastiDip and off-roading is a bad idea.
Too much mud and dirt stay stuck on it from what I experienced.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saw this video with a plasti dipped truck trying to do off-road. Not convinced, it's definitely not for mud and harsh road elements. I think they should stick to city driving.

5 coats? Either way, the brush in NE is far tighter than what was on that video.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm OK with the scratches, that's what it's there for. What I'm worried about is the constant dirty look. Is that what you mean by "collecting mud"?

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sprayed all the plastic trim on my Lr3 with plasti dip. Overall, I'm still pretty pleased with the results and how it is holding up. I have one small tear from a branch on the front passenger wheel arch and some scratches that haven't torn but do not go away.

Most of what I go through is a sandy mud here in NE Florida and it hasn't kept a "dirty" look. I didn't plasti dip my wheels however, I rattle canned them with a Satin Black. I would think the wheels would me more apt to keep the dirty look if plasti dipped with the addition of baked dust.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sprayed all the plastic trim on my Lr3 with plasti dip. Overall, I'm still pretty pleased with the results and how it is holding up. I have one small tear from a branch on the front passenger wheel arch and some scratches that haven't torn but do not go away.

Most of what I go through is a sandy mud here in NE Florida and it hasn't kept a "dirty" look. I didn't plasti dip my wheels however, I rattle canned them with a Satin Black. I would think the wheels would me more apt to keep the dirty look if plasti dipped with the addition of baked dust.
Thanks for the information. I think I'm going to go for it. I think it's worth it to at least try for myself, considering the varying results. Also considering how often Max (my LR4's name) sees anything but pavement (2-3 heavy trips a year at most).
I just have to decide on the color...[emoji57]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM