Problems With the LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

delcoquito

Reaction score
2007 LR3, 36,000 miles - Vehicle Issues

Basically everything I read on these boards is spot on!!! I bought a LR3 V8 SE 4 weeks ago (9/25/10) with only 36,000 miles on it (still under original warranty). I had the car for roughly 14 days and noticed a few sounds and some of the warning lights came on. I took the truck in for the factory suggested 37,500 maintenance and needless to say was leery of the dreaded "rover problems" and "you'll become best friends with the service manager" concerns, but all in all, the service was fantastic and all of the following items were fixed on my vehicle free of charge under factory warranty after a thorough inspection by the Prestige rover dealership on Rt. 17 in NJ:
1. Rear differential replaced (car was making a very slight metallic rubbing/grinding noise when going low speeds with windows down - being that I don't have roof racks they knew right what the problem was).
2. Compression Kit & Air Drying update performed (at one point the suspension light in the middle console disappeared completely and the message screen read "Normal Height Only" - they say I might need an entirely new compressor if the light comes on within the next few weeks which would be replaced under warranty)
3. New battery installed (I didn't even know there was a problem with the battery but they replaced it under warranty)
4. Replaced the cigarette housing units (they wouldn't close, the door would just stay down and open)
5. Tire pressure indicator light, suspension fault light, etc. all reset
6. All fluids replaced
While I'm ecstatic everything was replaced under warranty and that they found and rectified more issues than I thought existed, my only negative experience is that today was the 12th day the car was in the shop. It's totally true that the rover parts supply line sucks, as I had to wait over a week for the new rear differential to arrive from the UK.

Overall, I must say I'm super please with the final outcome and a little patience was all I needed to get my boy back in good form, free of any and all defects. I am most definitely a proud new member of the Land Rover club!!!!! :cool: :proud:

P.S. All I have my eye on now are the "bushings made of peanut butter" that I keep reading about and the tread wear issue on the tires.

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm happy to hear that the amount of shop time hasn't tarnished your LR experience. My rig was in the shop ALL the time until the bugs were worked out. All under warranty, always received an LR3 loaner and they washed my ride every time. The customer service was incredible. They were simply repairing factory issues. Yes, I could focus on what a bad vehicle it was or how unreliable it seemed, but I was always treated with white gloves. Try to find that from a Nissan Dealership! I just don't understand some of the harsh, negative posts sometimes about having to drop the car off at the dealership. Two-way road here. I always made myself pleasurable to deal with (regardless of my frustration level). In return, the Service Adviser always treated me as a VIP. Win-win.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wish my dealer gave me loaners...but I didn't buy it there so...I'm not entitled to one.

Anyway, my dealer is pretty decent as well, pretty quick with getting 'er done. Never have had to leave it over night (and it's been there for about 15-20 issues in 7 months, no exaggeration)....have to say all in all, it's a great experience.

Now, if they'd just move that Nara Bronze LR4 to the back, where it would be out of my sight...because.......I WANT IT. :biggrin:

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought my LR3 used, 2005, less than 24K miles. Had it less than a week and had to make a service appointment . . .

the problem . . . . system fault, transmission options unavailable (only option on the terrain response knobby was "standard mode".

the cause . . . . took them three days to figure out, clutch position sensor, t-case ECU module. Will cost $245 for the module, about $345 in labor.

Fortunately I bought the extended warranty (3 yr, 75K miles, bumper to bumper), so as far as I know, no out of pocket cost for me.

Recently had to take my LR3 back to the dealer . . . had a suspension fault. They traced it to a failed compressor, fixed under my extended warranty plan. However, the warranty company sent out an inspector to inspect the LR (two claims in less than two months, I guess they thought I was trashing it) . . . after inspection they signed off on the repair and I'm off again.

I have to say, it's a pain in the a$$ to make two trips to the dealership in less than 2 months of owning the truck, but anyone that has done their homework shouldn't be surprised, and my dealership has been awesome. The LR3 is a great do-it-all rig for me and I can't wait for the snow to fly.

Chin up, charge forward or get left behind!

Last edited:

steve c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our 01 Disco SE7 had a faulty MAF and a seat belt tensioner go bad in 4 years. True, it did drive and actually sound like a school bus, but it never left us stranded.

Our 05 LR3 SE 7 seat which was purchased in late 04 suffered from the "dash full of lights" problem when starting in below 0 weather. I can't recall anything else going wrong, if it did it was serviced during the routine free servicing and we always had a loaner.

Our 08 HSE had an issue with the drivers seat, a TSB actually which was fixed recently and the stereo stopped playing CD's, but really that happens to lots of multi-disc systems.

I suppose we are simply lucky, but then I once owned an LS400 that was a total lemon, so it happens.

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had my 2008 LR3 HSE in for some light's installed and discovered that the rear diff needed to be replaced. This is on top of the front diff having been replaced about a month ago. Fortunately both are under warranty but strange to have both differentials need to be replaced at 33k miles.

delcoquito

Reaction score
I have actually noticed a sound like this. Based on your experience, what might that be?

Get a new differential, they are covered under warranty. I just had my rear differential replaced at 38,000 miles after heard the SAME EXACT light metallic rubbing noise.

teamfalcon

Reaction score
Holy smoke...
08 LR3, 30k miles and I hear a rubbing noise too........so it's the rear differential huh?

I also hear a random 'ticking' when I drive. It's not always, but it sounds like a nail in the tire but it's not.

This forum ROCKS!!

teamfalcon

Reaction score
2008 LR3 with 30K miles.

I'm hearing the same rubbing noise. Letting my dealership know! Thanks guys!

I also hear a slight clicking noise when I drive. It sounds like it's coming from the front right side. It sounds like a nail in the tire but it's not. It happens sparingly. Very faint noise. Anyone with the same/similar noise?

PicnSav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2008 LR3 with 30K miles.

I'm hearing the same rubbing noise. Letting my dealership know! Thanks guys!

I also hear a slight clicking noise when I drive. It sounds like it's coming from the front right side. It sounds like a nail in the tire but it's not. It happens sparingly. Very faint noise. Anyone with the same/similar noise?

I had the same noise, but at 26,000 miles. Believe it or not, it was the tires. They were the OEM tires Goodyear Wanglers. I changed them to Cooper Zeons, it been 30K miles since the change and no more ticking noise.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72