Service engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

dmorro83

I have a '00 Discovery Series II and my service engine soon warning light has been on and the code refered to bank 1 and 2 being too lean, or something like that. I've read many other posts with this same problem so I first started looking for the problem.The engine does seem to be running smoothly and I haven't noticed any rough engine problems or any noticable things like that yet (knock on wood!). I did noticed that the top to my air filter box was not seated correctly so I removed it and found that one of the peices to guide the top on was bent preventing the top to shut correctly.

To make a long story short I heated that corner and bent the little peice back to where it shuts properly. Should that help solve the problem, if not what else should I check, and if so will the warning light eventually go off or...?

Thanks for any help!
Drew

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The air box could cause this issue, but more info is needed. Current mileage? What maintenance has been performed recently or when... plugs, wires, air filter change, type of driving... in town, highway, and do you baby it or drive it like you stole it?

D

dmorro83

Thanks Joey,

My Discovery is a '00 and has 117,000 miles on it. I've had it for a little over a year but I haven't done anything with the plugs and wires yet so I'm unsure as to when they were done last,(I'd imagine sometime soon would be good though). Everything is stock except for a drop-in K&N air filter. Most of my driving is in town with the occaisional road trip and I do go easy on it with my driving habits. Other than regular upkeep I haven't done any major maintenence on it.

Thanks for the help

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, Plugs are an easy change, but the wires will **** you if you don't have small hands. You will understand when you try to remove/replace at the coil pack.

K&N could be fun (don't over oil) if you over oil it, you will be buying a new MAF sensor.

I would also look at running seafoam (injector cleaner found at Napa or similar store) one can in the gas tank, one in the intake vacuum hose drivers side right in the air intake/butterfly assy, and one can in the oil (read directions on can)

Then drive it like you stole it. this should clear out any carbon build up that may also be causing your issue.

Do the above, and it should help.

D

dmorro83

Ok, sounds like I should be able tackle this. If this helps and is causing the warning light issue, will the light go off automatically or will I have to get it reset?

Thanks again for your help I'll post my results as soon as I have them.

D

dmorro83

Also, would it be neccissary and/or possible to clean the MAF sensor, if so is that a lot of trouble?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If this does fix this issue, the light will go out, it will just take a couple of days or cycles.

Yes it is possible to clean the MAF, non-film causing contact cleaner, remove the MAF then spray liberally, let it dry then reassymble. It also doesn't hurt to clean the plug contacts either

D

dmorro83

About those plug wires, remind me to send Land Rover a thank you letter for putting the coil pack at such an accessible place!!!! I'm sure you all feel the same way. As much as I hated quiting we finally threw in the towel and let a mechanic down the street finish the job, although I must say that was money well spent!!!

Anyway I replaced the plugs and wires, ran seafoam in tank, intake and engine, cleaned the air filter, blew some air through the MAF(it looked very clean to me, didn't want to mess with it too much and I wasn't really sure what to look for as far as dirt goes).

I drove it about an hour tonight fairly hard trying to keep the RPM's up and I was very impressed with the amount of smoke from the seafoam, it looked like it was doing it's job so far.

After driving it for an hour the check engine light was still on and I was just curious as to how long typically would the light go off if this did solve the problem or when should I start looking for other things if the light doesn't go off?

Thanks for the help
Drew

D

dmorro83

So I've been driving it for a couple of days now with no change in the service engine light. I took it today to see if it was throwing the same codes. It was and they are
P0171
P0174
P0733
which to my understanding are bank 1&2 being too lean and gear 3 incorrect ratio. They cleared the codes and the light came back on later in the day.

Any suggestions? Fuel regulator, Fuel pump, Fuel filter, injectors, O2 sensors, MAF or wait it out and give it another round of seafoam?

I also read somewhere that you can reset the transmission computer??? Would that be related to that code of gear 3 incorrect ratio?

________
2000 Discovery
117,000 miles

R

Rover2000

I'm having the same problem. I have changed the MAF, Plugs, Wires, and clean the intake very well... When the car is in (D)rive but with the brakes on it shakes a lot and the RPMs are very low. When i accelerate too hard it makes a noise like taka taka taka but very low. Any ideas?

Disco II 2000
77,000 miles

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM