"Service Engine Soon" Light on '00 D2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't you take it to Autozone and see what is tripping the system? Then once you know what code it is, you can find out what the problem is. . .

G

GregS

Thanks Mike. Should be able to post some info Friday. Has it been your experience that these "idiot lights" trip off frequently? I'm pretty handy with a wrench and understand the concept of these diagnostic codes, at least on earlier model vehicles, but it seems that these Rovers keep you tied to the dealers.

G

GregS

Yeah, the Autozone angle seems cheaper at least at first Sam. After this first visit to the dealer, I'll probably try that method unless the truck just up and quits on me. Kinda wanted to nail it down before this weekend...heading up to the north coast for a couple of days.

G

GregS

O.K. I'm still working on getting the code # out of them, but here's what they said. It's a secondary system fault originating in the air pump. Probably a valve or solenoid or maybe as simple as a hose. Should be covered under our extended warranty once beyond the $100.00 deductable. Won't hinder performance I was told, but should be addressed. I was also told that if I was to read the codes with an aftermarket OBD II reader, the description associated with that particular code won't always match to Land Rovers description. Anyway, looks like I'll be taking it in in a couple of weeks to repair the problem. Does anybody know where you can purchase an OBD II reader for these Rovers and approximately how much they cost? What's the general consensus for purchasing vs. taking it to a automotive supply store (ie. Autozone) to have the codes downloaded?

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that they are around $250, but the problem is you can't reset the light. I am pretty sure it is the same kind of unit that autozone uses. I will keep my eye out for a unit.

When we do find the most inexpensive unit let's put it on the inexpensive parts page...

D

discomike

Fault Code

Greg,
Did they tell you if that part was covered under either the state of federal emission warranty???
If it is not and it won't hurt anything I would wait till you have other items to address under your extended warranty to make it more worth while.

G

GregS

Mike,
Sorry for the delay...I was out of town most of this week. They didn't have the vehicle long enough to determine the exact cause. They did say that if it was part of the air pump itself, ie. valve, solenoid etc..., it would be covered under the extended warranty after the deductible. If it was a hose or some other minor item, the cost would probably not exceed the $100.00 deductible. They were vague on under what warranty the work would fall. Sounds like they need the vehicle longer to make a determination. I'm supposed to setup an appointment sometime soon. I like your idea of waiting though, the truck is running fine and they did say that it would cause no performance issues. I have 10 months left on the extended warranty so maybe you're right. Wait it out and if anything else pops up, pay the $100.00 and get it all fixed. Hope nothing else pops up though...I'll post any other additional info I get.