Showoff Your LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude, that is sick! Love that look. Not to copy, but my '11 Black LR4 will be looking pretty close to yours soon. :cool: Are those GY DuraTrac or some other model of Wranglers? I'm on the fence right now bewteen DuraTrack and Toyo Open Country ATII. You've definitely sold me on putting 265/65R18 on my Compos.

Forget the Toyos ;)
These are the DuraTracs. Very happy with them. Only 80 miles with one really steep dirt climb which went just great (unlike when I did it with Contis).

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple quick pictures with the Compomotives and DuraTracs in 265/65R18...
I have to add that Barry was very prompt and the wheels were shipped on Tuesday this week and arrived yesterday at the dealership in Santa Fe.
Love the looks and combo.

They look great! To me, the Compos just have a much "stronger" look than the stock LR wheels. And the black of course looks great on your black LR4!

NM is one of the areas I want to explore in the future. Right now I have my hands full with Colorado. But I've heard good things about NM and we drive through it each Winter on our way to AZ.

Trekker

Reaction score
Forget the Toyos ;)
These are the DuraTracs. Very happy with them. Only 80 miles with one really steep dirt climb which went just great (unlike when I did it with Contis).

Very nice! My gut also says to go with the DuraTracs. I had them on a previous 4X4 and they gave a great highway ride, low noise, good off road (even mud), and they are awesome on snow & ice.

I've debated on what to do about the spare. I've heard mixed reviews on the rear tire mounts. Around town, I may just keep the stock spare underneath. It's not enough of a size difference to matter if I need to limp home to get my 5th tire or get the flat fixed. On longer trips I may just put the 265/65R18 spare in the trunk. I hate to loose that cargo space though.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They look great! To me, the Compos just have a much "stronger" look than the stock LR wheels. And the black of course looks great on your black LR4!

NM is one of the areas I want to explore in the future. Right now I have my hands full with Colorado. But I've heard good things about NM and we drive through it each Winter on our way to AZ.

Thank you Dan.
I'm happy I sold my LR3 18s and switch over to the Compos (besides the ridiculous investment). These tires are a world away from the Hankooks and they will do great here I believe. On top of it, I don't need spacers and the tires do not touch the frame horns. The stance is not as intense though.

So I'm only 6hrs from Denver and was thinking that I could get up there and you could show me around. Do a couple trail rides.

PM me if you'd be up for it.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice! My gut also says to go with the DuraTracs. I had them on a previous 4X4 and they gave a great highway ride, low noise, good off road (even mud), and they are awesome on snow & ice.

I've debated on what to do about the spare. I've heard mixed reviews on the rear tire mounts. Around town, I may just keep the stock spare underneath. It's not enough of a size difference to matter if I need to limp home to get my 5th tire or get the flat fixed. On longer trips I may just put the 265/65R18 spare in the trunk. I hate to loose that cargo space though.

If you go for the DuraTracs the spare fits fully deflated underneath. You will need a compressor (a small one might be sufficient).
I have read that there's enough of a size difference to throw off the computer system and possibly go into limp mode...
I used to put my spare Hankook in the trunk... Could be dangerous in case of an accident, loss of space...
I'm going to put plenty more miles on them tomorrow and hopefully a little trail too.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rabbit Ears Peak

We were hanging out in the Steamboat Springs, CO area this weekend. Drove part of the Hahns Peak trail and yesterday the Rabbit Ears Peak trail. Both trails are in the Funtreks book for Northern Colorado. Both "Blue". 1 picture from the Hahn's Peak trail where we pulled out the chairs and enjoyed the view for a while. The other pics are from the Rabbit Ears Peak trail. (We stopped .2 miles from the top as recommended in the Funtreks book and walked the rest of the way. Great trail. Only a bit of spotting - at the section in the pic so as not to put our wheel in the hole along the driver's side. Great views. Awesome mountain wild flowers.)

DSC00675.jpg

DSC00710.jpg

DSC00712.jpg

DSC00713.jpg

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We were hanging out in the Steamboat Springs, CO area this weekend. Drove part of the Hahns Peak trail and yesterday the Rabbit Ears Peak trail. Both trails are in the Funtreks book for Northern Colorado. Both "Blue". 1 picture from the Hahn's Peak trail where we pulled out the chairs and enjoyed the view for a while. The other pics are from the Rabbit Ears Peak trail. (We stopped .2 miles from the top as recommended in the Funtreks book and walked the rest of the way. Great trail. Only a bit of spotting - at the section in the pic so as not to put our wheel in the hole along the driver's side. Great views. Awesome mountain wild flowers.)

What I love is that you have trusted your wife to drive your LR4!!! Probably more amazing is that she want's to!! I already try to turn the wheel over and never get taken up on it! Always scared she is going to break something and I will be angry.

Looks like amazingly nice trails. Wish I could get out there sometime soon.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I love is that you have trusted your wife to drive your LR4!!! Probably more amazing is that she want's to!! I already try to turn the wheel over and never get taken up on it! Always scared she is going to break something and I will be angry.

Ha ha! She did great. Drove for about a half mile while I walked in front and "scouted/spotted". It was her first time driving a trail. I figured it would be better if I was outside spotting than in the back seat "coaching". ;-) The trail wasn't that tough but there were a couple of sections where you need to be careful with wheel placement.

The trail was great. Below are a couple of pics of the wild flowers and views.

If you come out some time and I am available we'll do a couple of trails. This one, though, is about 3 hours from Denver near Steamboat Springs.

Attachments

• DSC00707-Edit.jpg
    DSC00707-Edit.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC00687.jpg
    DSC00687.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 49

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little desert

Last weekend.