Showoff Your LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next up are a set of DuraTracs...and possibly something that allows the front tow hook to be more accessible.

Definitely need some new rubber on there!

As far as the front tow hook, just remove the plastic cover full time. That's what I did.

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...and possibly something that allows the front tow hook to be more accessible.

Why don't you just drill a circle on the OEM plastic cover? I did so with my LR3, took me about 5 minutes, I took the inspiration (copied really hahaha) from this one: http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-2008/klm/2008-Land-Rover-LR3-G4-Challenge-Front-Angle-1280x960.jpg

just make sure to measure properly the width of your hook and drill half an inch bigger so that you can comfortably insert the other one.

Attachments

• 20150427_112904.jpg
    20150427_112904.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My new Instagram account is Explore_the_USA

Found and following you there, Steve (as Sinjinthelandy). I have been a bit lax over the past few weeks in posting anything new but will pick up the pace as the spring weather settles over DC. That should provide a good 2-3 days of activity...:hmpf:

rmisquit

Reaction score
Hey guys! New to this forum and just picked up my new 2015 LR4 HSE in Fuji White yesterday. Im going to be going on a roadtrip from Memphis, TN to Las Vegas with the family and would like to test some of the offroading capabilities of this truck.

I have a few questions though, I am a complete newbie when it comes to the offroading scene as I have been more of a sports car fanatic. Is my stock LR4 in its present condition good enough to attempt some offroading in the desert and on salt beds or should I avoid it completely until I equip it with true offroad tires, like the duratraks. Any help with this would be awesome! Glad to be part of the LR family.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what route you are taking or when you are going. But I highly recommend that you pick up (online) the FunTreks books for the areas you will be passing through. Very popular with Jeep folks and other off roaders. We use them all the time and in fact I usually keep the Colorado ones in the car. In those books they rate trails Easy, Moderate and Difficult. You will be able to do any "Easy" trail with your stock LR4 and with sensible, albeit novice, driving. It is a great way to get started and you will be amazed at some of the awesome drives you can take that are "Easy". A stock LR4 will not have a problem with Moderate trails either once you have driving experience and occasionally a good, experienced spotter. You can certainly try Moderate trails on your own but there will be greater risk of damage or getting stuck. (Speaking from experience.)

The other things to keep in mind is that when you go off road it is all about slow and steady. "Slow as you can, fast as you must." This means that you may often find yourself going 3-5 MPH. This will have a significant impact on your road trip progress. Even at 15 MPH, taking a 45 miles side trip is a 3 hour deal whereas on the interstate it is just over 30 minutes. It seems my wife and I are very poor at estimating how long we it will take to explore a road/trail/area. We nearly always underestimate by at least 50%.

As for your route, I would definitely encourage you to minimize your time on the interstates once you get to the Rocky Mountains. There are a number of incredible alternate paved highways. I70 is actually very nice if you are in a hurry and are going the northern route. But if you have more time and can take a more circuitous there are some great options, especially in Utah. If you do come in from the north on I-70 then you will want to either head south through Moab or on UT24 towards Hanksville then picking up UT12 which is an incredible scenic highway. Southern Utah is amazing. If you go the southerly route you of course have NW Arizona but you may want to skim the southern most parts of Colorado through Durango, Cortez then toward Lake Powell and either heading north on UT95 to, again, pick up UT12 (there is a very cool Easy back road called the Burr Trail Rd that you can use) or you can head more south through Monument Valley and on to the Grand Canyon. It all depends on how much time you have!

tucsontom

Reaction score
Dan offers good advice. If you can include the Ouray - Silverton - Durango leg you will see some of the most spectacular scenery that can be seen from a paved road. And the books Dan recommends can allow you do experience some of the best moderate trails in the area. Clear Lake above Mineral Creek near Silverton - is one of THE most spectacular drives - mostly easy - it looks challenging at a distance but 4 wheel low range is not completely necessary but better for the road down - there are one or two spots that are a bit bouldery but moderate. Google it. One of my all time favorite SW Colorado drives. About 3+ hours round trip from Silverton. Telluride area is also a good alternative. Colorado is full of wonderful byways - use them! Then hit the Moab area and on to Vegas.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments on Clear Lake, Tom. That was on our list when we were in Ouray last September but didn't get to it. Instead we went to Animas Forks, then up over Hurricane and California Passes then down Corkscrew Gulch. Other days we did around the Red Mountain mining district and also a trip over to Telluride via Last Dollar Rd. We explored to the top of Ophir but then came back down. We will definitely be back there. I still want to do Clear Lake. And maybe the Alpine Loop.

tucsontom

Reaction score
Those are all great trails! Above treeline views can be amazing. Stony Pass is another favorite - not on the Alpine Loop but just a great route. Corkscrew - dynamic set of turns. Did Last Dollar for fall colors this past September mellow but very scenic. Prior year in my buddies Disco II- we did Black Bear - that was when I decided I needed a Land Rover! That and a few other of the more challenging trails in the area. Brown Mountain road to Red Mountain pass is another for great views. So little time...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72