Showoff Your LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David, send me your address.

bucket_stage1.jpg

Haha!!! Love it. Doubt worry, the shine will be short lived. :)

I'm just enjoying it since it hasn't looked this nice in 2 years.

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it's been a while since I posted anything, but I finally had my LR4 thoroughly washed and for the first time in 2 years, clay barred, properly waxed, and sealed. I have never seen it so shiny and I am almost embarrassed to drive it! :)

ACB3842B-F6EB-43B8-A0EB-38090F28A096_zpswadtjitx.jpg

LOL! For SHAME!!!

Looks great!

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude, that info is not really true.

285/60 is about 1" wider than 265/65 and 285/60 is really not a good choice for the stock 8" wide wheels. You can "prefer" whatever you like, but it's not the best choice.

Width is absolutely an issue on the lr3. It's ridiculous to say otherwise. Too wide WILL rub on everything unless the diameter is lower. On the other end, a 33" tire will fit fine up front if it isn't too WIDE.

A wider tire will also rub all into the fenders and fender liners if sitting on the bump stops. A narrower tire, even taller, will not due to it's ability to tuck into the fender liner space.

Lastly, the BFG 285/60 is a D load range which is unacceptable for the heavier LR3/4 builds.

Last I checked, we were talking about LR4s in the LR4 forum. I didn't see anyone ask about LR3 fitment and I surely don't own one. That 285/60 18" certainly fits the LR4! I should add that I use Compo wheels, so I do not know if LR3 18" wheels with spacers is the same. But absolutely without a doubt, they fit just fine without modification on Compos on an LR4.

The only issue they have, just like the 265/65 18" is diameter and hitting the frame horns on full lock.

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like jwest has very strong opinions all over the place :)

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last I checked, we were talking about LR4s in the LR4 forum. I didn't see anyone ask about LR3 fitment and I surely don't own one. That 285/60 18" certainly fits the LR4! I should add that I use Compo wheels, so I do not know if LR3 18" wheels with spacers is the same. But absolutely without a doubt, they fit just fine without modification on Compos on an LR4.

The only issue they have, just like the 265/65 18" is diameter and hitting the frame horns on full lock.

Ok, well, maybe you have not "checked" to see that the control arms, frame horns, and overall space inside the fender liner is identical between the lr3 and lr4 so all the information equally applies.

I never said the tire wouldn't "fit". I said it's not as simple as what you said, where you implied the only problem ever would be the diameter. That part is not true. In fact, your idea of relying on the compo wheel with wider offset only makes the bumpstop problem worse by pushing the tire out into the fender more than a tucked in lr3 wheel on an lr3.

So you do realize that a 285/60x18 is going to hit the frame horn partially due to the offset of that wheel right? This is because when it's turned, the offset, in addition to the tire width, push it into the frame horn. So, it seems width AND diameter are equally important and even more on the LR4 than the LR3.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The shape of a fender and size of a tire are not opinions. It's just what it is, believe it or not.

What amount of rubbing and in what situations is not an opinion either, it's simply a personal choice.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You said they "fit fine" but then say they rub. Fitting "fine" is not rubbing. Fitting to your allowance is ok too. Just don't spread inaccurate stuff to people who don't know any better.

I would not be surprised if the 1" narrower 265/65x18 size actually does NOT rub the frame horns while mounted on the Compomotive wheel. At partial turn they would be pulled away 1/2" from how your 285/60 is located.

Don't even begin to try talking Sht about this being "an LR4 forum". I've taken the time and effort to test fit 6 different sizes and 6 different tire models some with spacers and without, and compared at full extension and full compression to the bump stops. My tests have not been limited to the LR3 nor do they only apply to the specific model.

Blanket statements like "width is not the issue" make no sense when it's obvious that at some point, width IS the issue just as too much diameter can become the limiter.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, as someone who actually owns the wheels and tire combo you are talking about. I can say you are full of $hit. I have driven around parking garages in lowered height taking turns all the same and have NEVER rubbed the front fender liners whatsoever. The frame horn issue was when they were new and only on FULL lock, then as the tires wore got less and less pronounced to the point they do not anymore. It's the same as I have heard from 265/65 owners.

Driving on bump stops? Perhaps you are right. Honest question, do the 265/65s hit at all while on the bump stops? Regardless the answer, I do not fit my vehicles out planning for the absolute worst hardware failure scenarios. From what I have read, the compressors are far more reliable these days. How many on this forum have actually encountered an EAS fault to sit at the bump stops? Acceptable risk, in my opinion.

Lone Star landy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driving on bump stops? Perhaps you are right. Honest question, do the 265/65s hit at all while on the bump stops? Regardless the answer, I do not fit my vehicles out planning for the absolute worst hardware failure scenarios. From what I have read, the compressors are far more reliable these days. How many on this forum have actually encountered an EAS fault to sit at the bump stops? Acceptable risk, in my opinion.

Yeah, but remember Jwest thinks that the air system fails and the suspension goes to the bump stops every time you take it off-roading and that's why he believes a LC is superior LOL ;) SMH :stupid:

Surprise, surprise

Well, as someone who actually owns the wheels and tire combo you are talking about. I can say you are full of $hit.

:biggrin: :rofl:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72