Solution for low aux input level? (iPod)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has been brought up several times in the past, heck, I've even started at least one thread on the topic, but the low level on the LR3 AUX input (behind center console) is just awful. Now that nice weather has returned I was reminded that I can't even hear the music if I'm driving down the road with the windows open.

The head unit has plenty of oomph for this, as CD or Radio work fine, but these days most of us are using MP3 players instead.

So, has anyone come up with a SIMPLE solution to amplify the input such that the output matches the CD volume? I haven't tried using the headphone output of the iPod instead of the base in a while. I'll have to see how much volume that buys me even though it'll make connection that more inconvenient.

I don't want to replace the stereo system or hack into my dash. I was just hoping for an easy way to amplify the iPod output. Would that even work or is it still buffered too much to get decent volume?

Thanks for any tips.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reminds me I need one too. Something like this should work: AMAZON PAC-LC1

Infact, I just ordered it and let you know how it works (next week). Cheers, -Doug

Last edited by a moderator:

cleppard

Reaction score
I got one of these Belkin (F8V7058-APB) 12 v ipod charger with built in amp

Amazon.com: Belkin F8V7058-APB Auto Kit for Black iPod with Dock Connector: Electronics

I plug it in next to the aux connector on the back of the centre console and run the aux cable into the until in the 12v socket, then run the dock connector cable down the side of the centre console so that i can have my ipod up front with me.

it works really well for such a simple cheap solution.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this actually looks like a better solution, but mixed reviews on if it works with iphones

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Belkin cable has worked great for me for several years.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good tips to get us talking. The first link on the PAC-LC1 - doesn't seem clear to me if that is just a remote knob for another system or actually an amplifier. I don't see any power specs, just the RCA inputs.

The Belkin solution has been discussed before. I used to have one for my iPod but as mentioned, it didn't work with my iPhone. However, I don't think that actually amplifies anything even though it does have a volume knob on it. I think it can be used to turn the volume down, but doesn't have the amplification circuitry to do anything else.

Hmmmm...

Something like this could work;
http://www.audiophileproducts.com/cutebeyond
Of course, you would have to get 24V to it. While they do sell iPod connectors with RCA outs, they are not powered connectors so you would still be coming out the headphone port in addition to connecting something to the base.
Those CUTE boxes are expensive, but do seem like high quality amps.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although I never tried the Belkin solution, I hear the built-in amplification, when turned to the max, does make a little bit of a difference in volume output. But if it doesn't work with your iPhone, that's a moot point anyway. Another totally "free" trick you may want to try is enabling an equalization program on the iPod, whichever one sounds best to your ears. It does seem to make the output volume a little louder, not much but better than the non equalized alternative.

cleppard

Reaction score
i use mine with both a G2 and G3 iphone (ie 1st and second gen) the only difference is that it will charge the 1st gen iphone but will not charge the 2nd gen (G3) one but will still play the music on it.

Im fairly certain it does amplify the signal but I will double check this tonight with and without it plugged it to see if it does.

GrahamWelland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used an AudioControl line driver to provide an adjustable pre-amplifier to the AUX input which allowed me to match the input level of my iPod head unit and XM satellite unit to that of the CD/Radio in my HSE. Once it's calibrated there's little need to adjust it afterwards so I didn't need an external control.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635