Solution for low aux input level? (iPod)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used an AudioControl line driver to provide an adjustable pre-amplifier to the AUX input which allowed me to match the input level of my iPod head unit and XM satellite unit to that of the CD/Radio in my HSE. Once it's calibrated there's little need to adjust it afterwards so I didn't need an external control.
Did you add this behind the dash or was this something you did in the center console?

Here's my solution...
2) The signal/volume booster is crucial. This is actually the way the Harmon Kardon Speakers were meant to bump.
-Picture of Booster
-Link to Buy $33.50

Thanks, Angas! I forgot about this. For $35 all I have to do is get power to it. Not a bad option.

Did you find you needed the noise/whine filter? For me, it depends on the iPhone power supply I use. Some have given me issues, some haven't. But if I'm amplifying a signal, I may need the filter...

cdodkin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has been brought up several times in the past, heck, I've even started at least one thread on the topic, but the low level on the LR3 AUX input (behind center console) is just awful. Now that nice weather has returned I was reminded that I can't even hear the music if I'm driving down the road with the windows open.

The head unit has plenty of oomph for this, as CD or Radio work fine, but these days most of us are using MP3 players instead.

So, has anyone come up with a SIMPLE solution to amplify the input such that the output matches the CD volume? I haven't tried using the headphone output of the iPod instead of the base in a while. I'll have to see how much volume that buys me even though it'll make connection that more inconvenient.

I don't want to replace the stereo system or hack into my dash. I was just hoping for an easy way to amplify the iPod output. Would that even work or is it still buffered too much to get decent volume?

Thanks for any tips.

Just use the headphone output and adjust the volume at the iPod/iPhone.

You get plenty of volume to drive the system this way - and quality is fine.

I use my iPhone in this way - and it matches the volume from the CD, no problem.

GrahamWelland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you add this behind the dash or was this something you did in the center console?

My AudioControl high quality 2 channel line driver was dropped in I believe in the console somewhere. It's a small unit about 4 inches long. Also in my case I have a relay/selector button that swaps between 2 inputs to the AUX input so that I can use both an iPod driver and an XM satellite unit. Mt iPod commander also supports active line pass through from the original rear AUX extension so that you could still plug in there as well for external devices although I never use it.

Certainly with the HSE and the stock sound system you owe it to yourself to use a decent quality step up for the AUX. In my experience all of the cheap plug in amps/iPod adapters etc sounded like crap.

Btw, this is the Audio Control 2 channel Line Driver which has been perfect for me. We did also consider using the 6-way for independent control of iPod/XM/external but in the end it was unnecessary (for me).

Last edited:

MST

Reaction score
I had the Belkin FM Tuner for Ipod & Iphone from my old car and just put it in the outlet, bought a 3.5mm cable and plugged the unit direct into the aux rear plug. The volume is a bit lower than the head unit but much louder with the amp. than plugging the Ipod direct. This unit also charges while you drive. Not the cheapest solution but I already had it and it works well for me.:smile:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=457256

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=390447

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with this:
http://www.headphone.com/products/headphone-amps/headphone-amp-list/headroom-total-airhead.php

Pros:
Nearly as loud as FM/CD. 95% as loud I would say
Sounds Great

Cons:
Ugly. I had to buy a car power adapter for it and it sticks out of the rear power outlet and you see wires everywhere.
Because the LR3 doesn't provide power to the 12v outlets when the car isn't on, you lose the ability to listen to your MP3 player without turning the car on. a real bummer.

My thoughts. If I didn't spend $100 on this setup I would take it out and deal with the low volume as opposed to this config I have now.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with cdodkin, I use a $5 connector cable from radio shack. Audio out to Aux in. No, it's not as loud as the stereo or cd can go, but you can turn it up to 35 with no distortion and it's more than loud enough (for me).

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with this:
http://www.headphone.com/products/headphone-amps/headphone-amp-list/headroom-total-airhead.php

Pros:
Nearly as loud as FM/CD. 95% as loud I would say
Sounds Great

Cons:
Ugly. I had to buy a car power adapter for it and it sticks out of the rear power outlet and you see wires everywhere.
Because the LR3 doesn't provide power to the 12v outlets when the car isn't on, you lose the ability to listen to your MP3 player without turning the car on. a real bummer.

My thoughts. If I didn't spend $100 on this setup I would take it out and deal with the low volume as opposed to this config I have now.

That's what I had in mind. Looks like it has battery option? Any comment on how long they last?

- Brian

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I had in mind. Looks like it has battery option? Any comment on how long they last?

- Brian

Batteries weren't an option for me. I didn't want to have to reach over and turn the thing off whenever I was done. I think it's supposed to be 10+ hours.

Trav

Reaction score
Radio Shack

I bought a gizmo at Radio Shack for hooking up multiple headphones to an Ipod or the like. It has an amplifier built in which runs on 2 AA batteries. It makes it louder with little loss of sound quality. It was less tha $25 and batteries seem to last 4-6 months, left on.

My stereo makes a clicking noise when the car is first started. It goes away after pushing AM>FM>CD>AUX buttons. Seem worse when its wet out. Anybody else have this problem?

Cheers TD

BigArt_LR3

Reaction score
I have the Belkin power/amp cable and it has done wonders. I get great sound from it. It's almost at the same level as the radio/cd.

I needed something like this to blast my trance music. Thanks for the tips in the other threads!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635