Solution for low aux input level? (iPod)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GrahamWelland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You folks using solutions that 'almost' match the input levels must have the patience of Job because it annoyed the hell out of me. I simply had to find a solution that matched all the inputs so that when I changed from iPod to CD to radio I didn't either send myself deaf, have to turn up the volume EVERY time (20 level default after power off with HK head unit), or have to adjust it on switch over.

The good news I guess is that there are solutions available.

angasreid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah Todd, I just bought a "ground loop isolator" that went on the output of the amp. So anything that went through the amp gets "cleaned up, improved bass too". They're fairly inexpensive. Check it out http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062214

After the signal... it's louder than the CD. Sounds awesome... For sure the way to do it right if you enjoy music loud.

By the way, I took my 12v supply off the rear cig. console's power. In the cable there's like 5 or 6 wires running to it, the purple and green is the 12v+. The black is the 12v-.

Very easy if you know a little about wires. Best way to do this... hard wired and all. FM broadcaster are junk, I don't car what kind it is. You'll be on a road trip and it will work fine in one city, and the next city 15 miles away you've got mexican rap over top your fleetwood mac.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Last edited:

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scratch the PAC-LC1 off the list. Its no louder that a straight cable.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I went the audiocontrol overdrive route. Its the best so far, be far from perfect. I scored one off ebay for $50.

Its gets very close to the other sources level. The aux input of the LR3 deck seem to get overloaded very easily. The overdrive unit is at <2watts (about 20% setting) and its the closest I can get to even without overloading the inputs.

BTW - It fits very nicely behind the left side of the "H" panel.

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I went the audiocontrol overdrive route. Its the best so far, be far from perfect. I scored one off ebay for $50.

Its gets very close to the other sources level. The aux input of the LR3 deck seem to get overloaded very easily. The overdrive unit is at <2watts (about 20% setting) and its the closest I can get to even without overloading the inputs.

BTW - It fits very nicely behind the left side of the "H" panel.

That sounds great how did you tap it into the factory aux? What's the "H" panel?

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing fancy. RCA to headphone wire tucked under thecenter console to the oem jack (for now). The "H" panel may not look like an H on the newer lr3. I think they split it and made it two tone in 2008 maybe. Anyway it the stereo surround including the air vents. All one and looks like An "H".

Next time it is apart I may add a noise filter. It's very subtle nut it's there between songs.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Resurrecting an old thread...

Looking at the pictures of the AudioControl OVERDRIVE device, it looks like it needs 12v power and ground. How did you guys go about doing that that?

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am with those that have used an active pre-amp such as the AudioControl route. I am using a Phonix Gold pre-amp/EQ/line driver. It is mounted in the storage cubby between the two front seats. These devices boost the volts output and sound much better than a straight input. Get a top quality one and you won't have any problem with ground loop noices. Ensure the SN level is high.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635