Steering Column ECU

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jose Ramos Jr.

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a 2005 Range Rover HSE and recently started having problems with the ignition key turning on. I took it to the dealer and they tell me I have a faulty steering column ECU but can only purchase the entire steering column. I'm looking for any solutions to this problem or any leads to a ECU where I don't have to purchase the steering column.
Thanks, Jose'

LandRvrTech

Reaction score
The steering column ECU is actually the steering column lock/ECU all integrated in cast aluminum to the steering column assembly. Unfortunately, there is no way around but to purchase a new steering column. The good news is that the steering columns are not VIN specific, so you may be able to find a used one and have a Land Rover dealership install and re-program it for you. As for right now, to get the key to turn, you can disconnect the battery for about 30 seconds, reconnect it and attempt to turn the key. Sometimes it works for a few times, sometimes it doesn't. Hope this helps.

Jose Ramos Jr.

Reaction score
Hey Landy Man, thanks for the quick response. I have been able to turn the key by disconnecting the battery and it continues to work until I remove the key from the key switch and re-insert it. I've located a steering column for about $2k but I feel that it's an expensive repair for such a small problem. I was considering removing that ignition lock pin but I don't know what the negative repercussions of that would be. Any ideas?

LandRvrTech

Reaction score
There is not an actual "pin" in the lock cylinder, it is and entire motor assembly. I can't say for sure, as I have not tried this before, but I do not believe the vehicle will start due to the steering column ECU not "seeing" the rolling codes from the key transponder. About the steering column, near $2k sounds about right. Just had one last week, I think we sold it for around $1800 for just the column.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM