Stuck CDL?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Monty,

I know when my CDL was stuck on my '97 Disco, it took me about 2 hours of fun to free it up using the same web site. I grabed hold of the small shaft that controls the links with some vice grips and sprayed the shaft and moved it foraward and aft as in front and back of the Disco (yes I know that this is not the correct movement for the CDL to engage or disengage). After about and hour or so of doing this while spraying it with some break free, it started to move fairly well, I then got out of the seat and while moving the vice grips forward and back, I grabbed the CDL handle and started to shift in and out of CDL (this is when it got fun) can you say spray, wiggle wiggle - push - wiggle - push - wiggle - push, spray wiggle - pull - wiggle - pull I am sure you get the idea.

After about a half hour of this it was shifting nice and smooth. I then greased it all up and filled the linkage area full of grease and reasmbled all the parts.

P.S. you do not have to have the vehicle in Netural in order to shift into or out of CDL, you may have to back up to disengage CDL, but not always.

Hope this helps.

D

discomike

Mike,
Have you tried to shift it on the fly, try a couple of time both in forward and reverse. Get up to 2 or 3 miles per hour, go to neutral on the transmission and try and work the t/case into High lock. If that works than work on Low lock.
Mike J.

D

discomike

Joey,
The only reason I suggested trying while in neutral was to take all the load off the t/case gears to free up everything as much as possible. Other wise, yes you don't need to be in neutral under normal situations.
Mike J.

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys! Unfortunately, I can't take care of two kids and work on the truck at the same time, wife's usually at work. Anyways, I put the console back together and buttoned everything up. I had to get the truck back on the road for my wife, as the temp here is staring to warm up a bit.

I didn't get a chance to do what you advised Joey, as I didn't get time. My weekend is over tomorrow and I won't get time to try anything.

I did engage low range tonight and it felt like it went in easier than before but still no luck with the lock. I'll try your suggestion tomorrow, Mike. Not sure if it will work, but I'll give it a go anyway.

markthecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Melissa,
I'm sorry but I have to ask. How did the anti-freaze taste? Was it a good year? LOL.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Mark: Ha Ha !! Hey you should come wheeling with us OkRover's!! Sometimes we go to Joplin, MO. I will be back in Oklahoma soon as school starts around August 15 or so ... Check the OkRover's website to see if it is something you might be interested in!! :smile:
Melissa

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I got all excited today when my wife called and said that the orange diff lock light came on in the dash while she was driving. She told me that she did not shift the lever and the light just came on.

I went and checked it out to see if somehow it had shifted into lock. The shift lever was still in the open position and I could shift from high to low still but the light is still on.

I know its possible that I bent the shift rod while trying to get it to the lock position and that will make the light go on but still be unlocked. However, I drove it once or twice after putting things back together with no light. I just thought it was unusual for the light to come on suddenly?

I drove it and it feels as if its unlocked but now I need to figure out how to fix the light from coming on? I've never driven any 4x4's locked on the pavement and figured that I could tell if the diff was locked. I just hope that I'm not doing more damage to the drivetrain by driving it around.

D

discomike

Mike,
I am trying to think, and experiencing a senior moment, wether or not the CDL light switch is on the inside of the t/case or the outside.
If it is on the inside, there is a real great possibility that it is in fact locked up.
Take the truck out on to a parking lot size area and do full turns and see if you feel any lurching coming from the tires as they bind up, if you do the case is locked.
Good luck,
Mike J.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72