Suggestions for economical running boards for my LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnsoax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They don't show the mounting brackets...

I'll see where they need to be beefed up when they get here early next week.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check with local dealers to see if any 2015 LR4 buyers had them removed. Every 2015 LR4 comes with them as the factory is trying to get rid if them before the new Discovery comes out. You can probably get a good deal on a set of "take off" running bards.

Turns out the running boards of 2015/16 LR4s are quite a bit more "built" that the OEM dealer installed accessories of previous model years, they aren't just for show and step-up convenience, so I somewhat believe Land Rover's claim that they were installed to offer additional side impacts protection, as they include aluminum crumple zones, chunky stainless steel frames and brackets, and they weigh substantially more than the "vanity" running boards of years past. Don't think they could be retrofitted to earlier model years, and Land Rover dealers have strict instructions not to remove them anyway for safety reasons and Federal regulations (although they can be removed if an owner wants to do so in the privacy of his/her garage.)

More info: www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26669

Last edited:

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's useful info. The original side protection step tubes I bought were absolute crap, tin can thin, same as the brush bar. What's hilarious is I say one listed on CL the other day advertised as a "bull bar" -- I went through two of them before I finally pulled off the last one and left it at lucky8 for scrap...

johnsoax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my ebay nerf tubes yesterday.

The tubes are a nice strength for steps and the brackets are very stout. The front brackets use one of the body mounting bolts that are on the truck now, but the bolts that it comes with are a bit smaller than I would like..

I got the driver's side installed..... after I broke one of the bolts.. Sheared right off as I was tightening it..

I have an email into the seller now about more and/or stronger bolts..

I will also stop at the hardware store and see if I can get something a little beefier to use on my way home...

I think they look nice, and they do what I want, which is to help my wife and kids get into the vehicle.. I don't do heavy off roading, so I'm not counting on these to be rock sliders, just steps. They take away about 1.5-2" of clearance at the sides...

If we like them and use them maybe I can justify the 10x cost difference to go to the TerraFirma sliders in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_6158.JPG
    IMG_6158.JPG
    912.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6159.jpg
    IMG_6159.jpg
    752.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6165.jpg
    IMG_6165.jpg
    938.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

johnsoax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is one of the bolts that I broke...

Looking for alternatives tonight..

If I can't find anything, they will be sending me a few more.

Attachments

• 15 - 1.jpg
    15 - 1.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 20

paula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All right - I jumped the gun as well and got mine off eBay and had them shipped to the independent mechanic who does all my bimmer work as well: http://www.ebay.com/itm/171722151678

I asked the seller about longer / additional bolts and he said that he is unable to supply anything else as he is just a reseller.

I will keep you guys posted. The estimate for putting them on has been $200 from pretty much every shop I have asked at. Sounds very high IMHO

johnsoax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds incredibly expensive. The one side I put on took less than 20 minutes with me laying on the ground.

johnsoax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to pick up some bolts.. I was able to make them pretty snug, but not super tight.. Hopefully in the future I will get to snug them up a bit.

I used 3/8" bolts, and used a straw and a piece of yarn to thread them through holes in the frame to get to the right holes…

The passenger side is put on with three of my bolts, and the existing body bolt. I switched one of the front bolts on the driver side with one of my bolts, and was able to snug up the 2 bolts that were supplied with the kit a bit more without them breaking. Will try to snug everything up again in a few days.

I am able to bounce on both nerf bars without them flexing too much. I weight 160 lbs, for comparison.

Attachments

• IMG_6167.jpg
    IMG_6167.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6168.jpg
    IMG_6168.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6169.jpg
    IMG_6169.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6170.jpg
    IMG_6170.jpg