Synthetic oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eekie

Reaction score
My '04 disco II is due for an oil change and I want to run Mobil 1 synthetic and I'm not sure if it's too late to switch from castrol 10-30 oil to synthetic. (It's got 52K on the dial). I change oil myself on all my vehicles and run Mobil 1 in all but I made the switch at around 20K for all of them and not any higher. I think this was an issue in a past thread but I could not find it. Since this is a new truck to me this is the first time I'm changing the oil myself. It looks like it's pretty easy. The dealer did it for me twice for free so I could not pass up the freebies. This time I'm on my own....

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I switch my D1 to Mobil 1 at 98,000 miles without any issues.

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I don't think you'd have any problem. I've heard you can switch to synthetic from regular oil, but you're not supposed to go back to regular oil from synthetic.

Eekie

Reaction score
Cool. I didn't think there would be any issues but understanding that an LR is a tempermental piece of machinery I wasn't sure. Thanks!

healey1006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that there won't be a problem switching, but if you do a lot of short trips or drive locally where your oil never really gets hot, you might want to stay with conventional oil. The reason is that these engines contaminate the oil very quickly, especially so when you do alot of short trips, and so you'll need to change the oil frequently. This can get expensive with synthetic. For what it's worth, the experts at RPI do not recommend the use of synthetics in these engines.

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if I've used synthetic can I switch back to regular without much of a problem? Synthetic oil changes run about $40 in oil alone

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, you can switch back. I have never seen an issue with switching. Remember some of your cheaper synthetics are actually blends.

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright cool... I should just go the regular route and change oil more often. I was only using synthetic because I thought it was better but the price was causing me to change it less frequently.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Currently running a test myself.... almost 7k on my last mobile 1 oil change...

Ok, so the test was not planned, between weather and work and emergency call outs I haven't had time to change the oil. This is why I went with Mobil 1.

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just checked my oil and it was dark brown... time for a change for sure. I bought some gtx and a filter and I'm going to replace it today before I go on a trip this weekend. I'm going to start changing the oil a little more frequently... but I don't drive much either.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90