Synthetic oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R

roverlover

My response to Mobil One

In the early 80's when Mobil One first came out, I bought some. At the time I had Mazda GLC, 1980 model. This oil was marketed for a 25,000 mile life. I took it at face value and had no problems. I kept the car for 10 years and put over 100,000 miles on it. Research the molecular engineering and you will be amazed with this stuff. Side note. We found the first synthetic oil inside the German war machinery. ****** was ahead of us, we even copied his highway system. We call it Interstate.

J

john65b

I change my 02 Disco II oil once a year with Mobil 1, after hitting 12K miles. I do about 90% freeway driving. I also use Premium exclusively (another argument altogether...)...

I was putting three - four oil changes/year (every 3000 miles) at Jiffylube at $30/pop on my Cherokee until a couple of snotnosed highschool chumps tripped up a seemingly simple task. Anyway, I was paying $90 - $120/year before deciding to do it myself for $50/year... and using better oil.

Nope, no Jiifylube for me...

Last edited by a moderator:

Mudquest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
john65b said:
I change my 02 Disco II oil once a year with Mobil 1, after hitting 12K miles...

That's a lot of miles between changes, but if it works for ya... My concern would be the need for different oil thickness due to weather changes. Unless you live in an area with very little temperature variation of course.

Here in Chicago, we can go from -10 to 105 within a four to five month span. Sometimes in the same day! :) So that would make using the same weight oil for such a long time a poor decision in my book.

IMHO Peace

J

john65b

Ah yes, Chicago - Born and raised on South Side....and U of I alum too (Champaign-Urbana)

Here in Utah, the span is not as severe... 20F - 100F...Mobil 1 - 10W30 seems to work fine all year long...

Jaak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been using synthetic oil in most of my vehicles over the past 20 years with no issues. Does not matter switching back or forth .... just that synthetic will protect more so than Dino oil. Synthetic was designed for extreme duty for the Military. So doing a lot of short runs is considered heavy duty .... and ... synthetic will not sludg up like Dino oil does. Syntetic is "slippier" than Dino. Bonus is better gas milege and engine runs cooler ... and is better protected. Synthetic also cleans the engine better ... able to suspend particals and carry it back to the filter. The most important thing to remenber is that a GOOD QUALITY oil filer is a must. For those who use longer drain intervals, replace the filter and top up with new oil .... the isco will love it!

BTW ... most top line cars have synthetic in the crankcases as well as trannies and difs ... they offer a longer warrenty on these componants!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635