Ticking Noise Continued

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jleebee1975

Reaction score
The ticking noise coming from the passenger side of the engine in my 2000 LR disco 2 is becoming more prominent. Again, this never happens on start up, only after driving. I now noticed that the sound is coming from under the passenger side valve cover and it is still there even when I accelerate. I did notice that my oil is down about a half quart and the noise started around that time. Is it possible that this could cause that noise? and if so does that indicate wear on some internal components or just poor lubircation?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would pull the cover and look for a broken or loose lifter/rocker

Jleebee1975

Reaction score
I will try that. It doesnt look simple though. Im guessing I have to pull the intake as well to reach the inner bolts of the valve cover?

Jleebee1975

Reaction score
Joey,

I went with the assumption that it was a chattering lifter or rocker. My oil level was about half a quart low so I replaced it with some lucas oil additive and the noise went away almost immediately. Forgive my ingorance but do you perceive this to be a good fix or should I investigate further for more damage? I dont mind adding lucas as an additive during oil changes if it will keep my engine from sustaining damage but there are no LR mechanics in my local area and the closest dealer has a good wait time and 100$ an hour labor charge. What would you do?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
First you don't need a LR mechanic to work on a 1960 Buick 214ci engine... basically that is all the Rover engine is until you get to the 03 or newer RR or 05 or newer Disco.

Anyone that is worth his salt as a mechanic should be able to pull the valve cover and figure out / fix this.

Sounds like the thick lucas is more of a bandaid fix... if you would have said you were 2 or more quarts low I would say you have other issues, but 1/2 quart... it is just thicker oil. Of course this is assuming (I hate to assume) that you are using a 10w30 oil... if you are using a 0w20 or 5w20, then switch and this may fix the issue...

Jleebee1975

Reaction score
it continues

The lucas was a very temporary band-aid. By the time I got home the ticking was back...not as prominent but back none the less. Im confident I can pull the valve cover...its the intake with all of its hoses and cables that bother me. Is there a way to pull the cover without removing all of those extra components?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
You have to remove some if not a lot of that to get to them properly... just take lots of pictures and label everything.

Jleebee1975

Reaction score
ticking noise

Will I need to have any replacement gaskets on hand to reassemble? Hoping I just need to tighten a rocker arm and then can put it back together. I just want to make sure I dont have to wait for any gaskets and can have them on hand if I need them for reassembly.

tempestv8

Reaction score
I have had this ticking problem twice on my motor now.

First time, it was the rockers - there's a TSB from Land Rover to replace the rocker due to the cap where the pushrod pushes up against the rocker becoming loose for a Discovery Series I V8. LR must not have learnt anything from that, because the Discovery II V8 also can suffer from such a symptom. For such a small part, it's amazing how much ticking noise it makes.

Generally, the noise is not present when the engine is started up from cold, but as the viscosity of the engine oil changes, the ticking becomes louder, and sometimes when the engine oil pressure is up that ticking noise is reduced.

But when you turn off the engine and restart it, the ticking is really loud again.

The other cause could be a pushrod with a faulty tip on it. When my engine rebuilder put my engine back together again, they must have dropped one of the pushrods, and the end was not good anymore. And that caused the same ticking noise.

jastutte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had a ticking sound when i first bought my discovery and it turned out to be a small exhaust leak. one of the bolts had stripped and wasn't holding the tightly enough. replaced the bolt and nut and the tick went away.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM